Screw trapped under vinyl liner-- redo entire job or roll in?

Kgrant

Jul 10, 2018
Rhode Island
My contractor finished a complete overhaul of our pool. Redo vermiculite, new pipes, new liner, new DE filter etc. About a week after we paid him, we noticed a 1" screw trapped, tight enough so you can see the threads (see photo attached, taken underwater, next to a quarter for size), at the bottom of the deep end! The contractor says he will come back and roll it into the vermiculite. If it were a pebble, I'd feel more comfortable, but this is a very pointy screw! The options are few, I guess: roll it in or he takes out 40K of water and redoes it. Any advice greatly appreciated!

screw under liner.jpg

Kate
Providence Rhode Island
20X40 vermiculite, vinyl

Thanks for the reply! The texture of the liner (Loop Loc, 28 mil, "pearlessence/ textured) makes it look more bumpy than it is). Should I be satisfied with a "patch" if that's what he wants to do? We paid roughly $20,000 for the entire job and I feel like I shouldn't be worrying every day whether the screw will pop through, but I'm curious what standard practice would be when the installer makes a mistake like this. :(

I think he can make a small slit and extract the screw. I don't know about common practice but I would ask for an extended warranty on the patchwork he does......extended like maybe 5 years or even the life of the liner.

I think the patch can be successful but it seems reasonable for PB to guarantee that work.

Yeah, I'd push for a redo and settle for the extended warranty patch job if he refuses. Or a discount. You didn't just pay $20k for a liner that needs a patch job due to his mistake!

Thanks so much for the help! I'm a novice at this. He has been around for quite a while but I will ask for a written warranty, like you suggested. The spot is at a bottom corner area-- when I dropped the quarter in, it rolled to the exact spot. He is planning to do it while full of water. Is that a problem? Also, is it reasonable to ask him to refind some percentage of the cost? He did a total of $17,000 of work, and the liner removal, disposal, and replacement was $5700 of that. The contract is very general "a workmanlike manner and according to industry standards." If so, how much? As someone said, if I asked him to install a liner w/ a screw under it, I doubt he'd charge the same $5700!

Kgrant:

Sorry about your troubles, but quite honestly for the price you paid, if this was my pool, they would come back and remove it, no matter what the situation is. Pretty sloppy work on his part and I always recommend that homeowners be on the property any type someone comes out. Watch carefully and stop any problems before they occur. I would not want my new liner cut, especially for $5,700. With the right equipment, the pool water can be salvaged in less than one hour in a temporary pool, and fixed within a few hours. All up to you and what you are comfortable with in how to proceed.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thanks so much for the help! I'm a novice at this. He has been around for quite a while but I will ask for a written warranty, like you suggested. The spot is at a bottom corner area-- when I dropped the quarter in, it rolled to the exact spot. He is planning to do it while full of water. Is that a problem? Also, is it reasonable to ask him to refind some percentage of the cost? He did a total of $17,000 of work, and the liner removal, disposal, and replacement was $5700 of that. The contract is very general "a workmanlike manner and according to industry standards." If so, how much? As someone said, if I asked him to install a liner w/ a screw under it, I doubt he'd charge the same $5700!

I can't visualize how rolling it while the pool is full of water is going to work, so I don't know if that's a good thing or not.

I cringe when I look at that poor little trapped screw. Crying shame. I just don't think rolling it into the vermiculite is the answer. That's one sharp edged headed screw---not a round headed bolt.

I cringe when I look at that poor little trapped screw. Crying shame. I just don't think rolling it into the vermiculite is the answer. That's one sharp edged headed screw---not a round headed bolt.

Chances are it can be rolled down, with no ill effect & not impact liner service life.

But to be devils advocate, liner warranties demand 2” of prepared substrate- a screw does not qualify as prepared substrate.

Chances are it can be rolled down, with no ill effect & not impact liner service life.

But to be devils advocate, liner warranties demand 2” of prepared substrate- a screw does not qualify as prepared substrate.

What does “rolled down” mean? What exactly is done?

Sorry, don’t mean to highjack the thread, but I’m thinking I’m not the only one who is wondering what this means. :confused:

Because it's "cork-based vermiculite" the pool builder said he has someone dive into the deep end (where screw is), I'm assuming with scuba gear, and uses a "special" roller. I've gotten mixed replies-- here and from a large pool install company-- as to whether this is possible. He's not the most pleasant person so I resisted the urge to be snarky when he said "don't worry about this, it happens all the time." At least they've had lots of practice fixing their problems. :( I consulted a contract lawyer and have written up an agreement about what a successful fix is and what happens if it fails (e.g. can't be pushed in, it creates a weak spot, it rips the liner etc.) in which case he pays for taking out water, redo with new liner, and refilling. Once the situation has been resolved, I'll be posting my experience/ review of this service widely.

I consulted a contract lawyer and have written up an agreement about what a successful fix is and what happens if it fails (e.g. can't be pushed in, it creates a weak spot, it rips the liner etc.) in which case he pays for taking out water, redo with new liner, and refilling. Once the situation has been resolved, I'll be posting my experience/ review of this service widely.

Have you approached the PB about this, and has he/she signed the agreement?

I'm very interested to see how they are going to roll it in. This is at the bottom of the deep end, so it has the weight of all that water already on it compacting the vermiculite base. That's a lot of weight, how is he going to apply that much more force to push that screw down? My bet is on the liner failing first and he ends up taking the screw out and patching where it was.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.