ScreenLogic reports Salt Level as Zero

Yorker

Silver Supporter
Apr 22, 2017
Cathedral City, CA
Happy Monday all!
Our cell is 1 year old. I started it up on 4/2/19 when the water temp was 69° and has worked fine since then with temps as low as 65°. Over the last week our Pentair IC40 would off and on display "Cold Water Cutoff” when the water was in the upper 60’s and low to mid 70’s.

Some cell background: I've never needed to acid wash it, there is just a tiny amount of calcium buildup on the edge of one cell blade. I've power rinsed it with a hose every few months, and few days ago when there was a lot of small leafy things in there and they blew out very well. My chlorine production from the SWG seems fine (between 7 and 8 FC), with the pump running 4 hours mid day (with the output at 50%). I’ve not needed to add liquid chlorine since 4/2/19.
Two days ago, I put the system in Service Mode, shut the SWG breaker off, un-plugged then re-plugged its cable. Turned the system on and now the Cold Water Shutoff light is not on (yeah)!

HOWEVER, the low salt light came on. Screenlogic showed the salt level as 2600, and as usual my Taylor K-1766 showed a higher level, 3400. (I’m familiar with the +/- of each, SL and K-1766) Over the last month those numbers have not triggered a low salt light.

I turned off the cell and added 16 lbs of salt, brushed, pumped for 24 hours and the K-1766 showed the level to be 3600ppm. Fired up the cell, and the low salt light is replaced with the green Good light. But ScreenLogic continues to show the Salt Level at 0 ppm. I’ve shut down the SL app, and well as the panel, breaker, etc. The pump has been running for 4 hours now, but SL still shows 0 ppm.

Suggestions?

Y,

For some reason, unknown to Pentair, minor changes to the system will cause the salt level in the EasyTouch and ScreenLogic to read zero.. This is just an error in reporting and the cell should still be working as long as the actual salt level is ok and the cell does not show a "red low salt" light on the cell. I believe that there is a timing issue in the circuitry that reports the salt reading to the EasyTouch. It is obvious that the cell knows what the real salt level is... This has been "Fixed" by the following actions.

Just shutting off and rebooting the ET
Replacing the flow switch
Replacing the ET's surge card (power supply for the cell)
Replacing the ET's main board
Replacing the salt cell itself.

The above fixes were done by Pentair during warranty repairs reported to this website. This is why I say Pentair has no clue why it is happening..

Since your cell is only a year old, it should be under warranty and I would report it and let Pentair fix it.

If the cell was out of warranty, I would recommend just living with it as the cell works fine and it might not be worth the cost to fix the problem.

If out of warranty and you wanted to fix it yourself, then use the above list and try them in the order of the least expensive..

Thanks,

Jim R.

Reactions: Sunnymosmile
Thanks Jim (... and Marty). After seeing Marty's suggestion that you may be of help, I searched for past posts of yours, but could not find anything relating to this. It seems (to me) that the upgraded website has a more challenging time searching for things. I find that less than 20% of my TFP searches lead me in the right direction. The old site, I had a 99% success rate of finding things on the subjects I was interested it. Maybe it's me :)

I'll call Pentair tomorrow and schedule a visit, and report back here the results.

THANKS!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.