ScreenLogic connecting but not communicating (so to speak)

Jun 18, 2018
Oceanside, CA
All,

Been using Pentair's ScreenLogic to control my pool and spa (all Pentair equipment) for almost a year, no problem. We here in San Diego had a decent amount of rain for about a 24 hour period. I tried to use SL right after that storm to start up the spa last night and it failed. The iOS app loads and establishes a connection with the pool, but pressing buttons to turn the pump, spa, lights, etc on all fail - the app APPEARS to have established the connection but nothing happens pool side. I also get no reading on pool/air temperature. I've tried the ScreenLogic on my OSX desktop, as opposed to iOS device, and same thing - it appears to see the pool (no error on connecting) but no commands work. I suspect the problem lies in the interface between SL and the EasyTouch 8 system but just guessing. I also don't know if it is at all related to the recent rain, as I haven't use the spa in a week or two. BTW, the EasyTouch 8 is fully functional. All established timers and buttons work fine. It's only the remote access that is problematic.

I tried restarting the EasyTouch and SL systems - no fix. Before I call my PB (pool is less than a year old) or Pentair, any suggestions for things to try?

TIA,

Fred

Fred,

ScreenLogic remembers the last setting so it is often hard to tell if it just presenting old info..

I suspect you have lost the wireless link between the ET and the Protocol adapter.. On the outside antenna, raise the hood and see if the green power light is on and that the RX and TX lights are randomly flashing...

Is your IntelliFlo pump working? If so, look at the display and ensure it is reading "Display Not Active" which is good thing and means the ET's com port is working.

I see no reason not to call your pool builder and have him get Pentair to send a tech out.

Thanks,

Jim R.

Fred,

ScreenLogic remembers the last setting so it is often hard to tell if it just presenting old info..

I suspect you have lost the wireless link between the ET and the Protocol adapter.. On the outside antenna, raise the hood and see if the green power light is on and that the RX and TX lights are randomly flashing...

Is your IntelliFlo pump working? If so, look at the display and ensure it is reading "Display Not Active" which is good thing and means the ET's com port is working.

I see no reason not to call your pool builder and have him get Pentair to send a tech out.

Thanks,

Jim R.

It's dark now so I'll look under the hood tomorrow. "Display Not Active" is on the display. The transmitter in the house has a very rapidly flashing green light - I'm guessing a signal that it can't connect. I'll make the call tomorrow. Was just wondering if there was a simple fix that I'm not aware of. Thanks!

Jim's test shows that the EasyTouch comm port is good, so it's possible that the comm port on the wireless link transceiver is dead.

I don't know how far your outdoor panel is from your pool, but you can use a length of 4-conductor cable to temporarily connect the screenlogic's protocol adapter directly to the comm port on the outdoor controller to determine if the wireless link is at fault.

If you want to try that, be sure to disconnect power to your panel and unplug the wireless link's indoor unit before fiddling with anything connected to the comm ports.

Tom

Fred,
See if the RX and TX lights are randomly flashing...
Jim R.

Either one or the other, but not together. If they are both on (listening and talking) at the same time, then the transceiver board is done, and unfortunately will need to be replaced. And look for a problem (short) with the wire that runs between the transceiver and the outdoor panel. specifically a pinched wire, or possible flooded condition.

Last edited:
I took the cover off of the transceiver out by the pool equipment - there is a slow blinking green light and nothing else. The inside transceiver still has the rapid flickering green light. Equipment is too far away to try the hard connection suggested by Tom. The inside of the outside transceiver was dry but as I said above, we noticed this after a period of fairly heavy rain.

Anyway, I put a call into my PB and will let them sort it out. Thanks for the suggestions everyone.

Fred

...there is a slow blinking green light and nothing else

On the outdoor transceiver, right to left there should be 3 leds: pwr, tx and rx. If functioning properly, pwr should be solid (green) and then the tx and rx will blink alternately (i think they're both green too)

Do you mean that you found only ONE led lit, and it was slow blinking? Or do you mean that only the tx or rx was slow blinking - and we're to assume the pwr led was lit solid?

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.