Scientific evidence that hi FC is safe

Status
Not open for further replies.
When I was a microbiologist, the federal standard of chlorine in drinking water was no more than 0.06 ppm at the consumer's tap. It's heavily chlorinated and UV-lighted at the water treatment plant.

EPA and the federal govt has mandated 4.0 ppm chlorine in drinking water as it leaves the plant. That's an important distinction to make, because chlorine is such an unstable molecule. It can be 4.0 ppm as it leaves the water treatment plant all day long, but by the time it reaches your tap, it will be considerably lower. How many people with city water have no FC when they test their tap water? I do.

I thinking we're making a soggy mountain out of a very wet molehill.

Reactions: frogabog
Quick guestion, are we saying that if the government says it’s OK to drink it’s OK safe to swim in?

They told us the air was safe to breathe immediately after 9/11. And the CDC classifies the likelihood of a zombie outbreak as 'unlikely'. I don't put much faith in what the government agencies say.

AJB, the answers for Drinking Water and The water chemistry science which is the foundation of TFP recommendations are also linked below. Happy Reading! All of us here at TFP would certainly be interested in see whatever scientific data you and your wife, or that anyone else has, to disprove the science behind the TFP recommendations.

Last edited:
Reactions: Wobblerlorri

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I think you are looking at the difference in the purpose of chlorinating pool water versus drinking water. Pools are outside, have bathers in it, are more prone to contribution of organics from outside.. etc. It would stand to reason a pool would require a higher level of CL to control and sanitize it from algae and bacteria etc. Drinking water is a closed system from the water company to your house. It needs to be ready for consumption at the faucet. And drinking water is used once and anything left over is discarded. Pool water is used over and over. Its basically an open cistern where the sanitizing chemicals degrade and need to be replaced.

I did a stint as a field tech in a limnology project.. so I look at managing my pool more as an ecological system. It will never be a dead body of water given its outdoor setting and use.. there is always something biological going on in it. my job is to control it with my little quiver of chemicals and gizmos to come to a happy balance that allows it to be swimable and enjoyable to look at.

Data has been presented that answered the original question by the OP.

This thread is closed.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.