Scaling Questions

Ripple

Bronze Supporter
Aug 11, 2020
North Georgia
I have some questions regarding scaling. I have owned the home/pool for 5 years but recently took over management. I have always had what I am guessing is calcium scaling? See pictures below. I can't honestly say if it's been there the whole time but I do believe it has (prior to me owning the home). There are two primary areas.....underneath and around the spillover and on the east wall above the tile. What's confusing to me is it is only on this east side tile and none on the other side. It also is coming from the top of the tile and doesn't appear to be in the water. There is also some "brown" color in parts.

After getting my test kit, I have tested CH about a dozen times and it has been fairly low each time. Can you all help me identify the issue and is there a way to clean it off? And how do I prevent it in the future?

Attachments

• IMG_3273.jpg
    IMG_3273.jpg
    320.8 KB · Views: 16
  • IMG_3274.jpg
    IMG_3274.jpg
    378.6 KB · Views: 16
  • IMG_3275.jpg
    IMG_3275.jpg
    342.2 KB · Views: 15
  • IMG_3271.jpg
    IMG_3271.jpg
    527.4 KB · Views: 15
That looks more like efflorescence coming from the stone.

Although it could be water tile scaling.

My theory: That's likely caused by evaporation. The area gets wet, the sun dries it off and leaves calcium behind. It's not really a water balance issue. I'm starting to get a haze of it myself, but my water is "perfect." It's by your spillway because that's wet more than other areas. It's on the east side more because of the sun in the west. Try a weak solution of muriatic acid and some elbow grease. Don't trade the grease for a stronger solution of acid, which will be very tempting after the first few scrubs. You can damage surrounding areas and grout with the acid, so use is sparingly. Try the diluted acid in an inconspicuous place first, so that you can make sure your MO is working, before you blast the whole area.

That looks more like efflorescence coming from the stone.

Although it could be water tile scaling.

Thanks for the info.......I had not heard of efflorescence. The east side of the pool is next to a landscaped area that has a sprinkler system. I wonder if the water overflow or dripping down the stone could cause it? There is no sprinkler system on the other side.

White vinegar can be used, too, which might be safer than trying muriatic acid. The trick is to use the least harmful solution first (in this case, the weakest acid), along with the elbow grease, to minimize damage that might result from the cleaning process.

My theory: That's likely caused by evaporation. The area gets wet, the sun dries it off and leaves calcium behind. It's not really a water balance issue. I'm starting to get a haze of it myself, but my water is "perfect." It's by your spillway because that's wet more than other areas. It's on the east side more because of the sun in the west. Try a weak solution of muriatic acid and some elbow grease. Don't trade the grease for a stronger solution of acid, which will be very tempting after the first few scrubs. You can damage surrounding areas and grout with the acid, so use is sparingly. Try the diluted acid in an inconspicuous place first, so that you can make sure your MO is working, before you blast the whole area.

Thanks for your reply. That wall does get the afternoon sun. When you say weak solution of muriatic acid, what would be an appropriate ratio?

See post #6. Whichever acid you try, just dilute it generously with water, give it a try in the least visible area. Increase the acid-to-water ratio until you get a good result. Patience is the key. Go slow. Much better to take your time than to have to make a repair. Wear protective glasses.

I'm sorry, I can't suggest a good starting ratio for Muriatic. I'll be figuring that out myself for my own pool this week. But I'm talking way more water than acid, not like 1 to 1. Ten to 1 maybe? If whatever you try first fizzes right off, that's too strong. If it does nothing with generous scrubbing, that's too weak.

The way it appears to be dripping down the tile does hint at efflorescence from the stone, but it doesn't really matter, the cleaning process is the same.

Last edited:
See post #6. Whichever acid you try, just dilute it generously with water, give it a try in the least visible area. Increase the acid-to-water ratio until you get a good result. Patience is the key. Go slow. Much better to take your time than to have to make a repair. Wear protective glasses.

Will do. Thanks for the help.

Be careful using even diluted MA as it will attack your grout before the scale. You have to neutralize the MA solution and not just wash it with water. We have seen folks ruin their grout trying to clean tile.

Reactions: Dirk

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Be careful using even diluted MA as it will attack your grout before the scale. You have to neutralize the MA solution and not just wash it with water. We have seen folks ruin their grout trying to clean tile.

I will give the vinegar and elbow grease a try first. The link you provided also said a pressure washer could work so I may give that a try as well before resorting to the MA.

Reactions: Dirk
A solution of baking soda and water on hand can be used for the neutralizing. But you have a good plan with the vinegar. You could even neutralize that just to play it safe.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.