Scale removal on tile grout

Oscar G.

Gold Supporter
Hello all, my pool is about 3 years old and I’m starting to see some scaling on the waterline tile. As you can see in the pics, the scale is forming on the edges of the tile and on the grout.

I haven’t been at meticulous and I should with assuring the CSI is within limits and it is a bit challenging considering the high CH here in Phoenix (fill water around 400 CH)

I am able to remove the scale that’s on the tile with a pumice stone but can’t get the grout clean. Any advice is much appreciated!

FC 6.5
PH 7.7
CH 650
TA 70
CYA 70
Pool temp 80
Salt 3400
Current CSI .05
8FBC0174-6525-42AD-843A-A8D85F9DEFCF.jpegBB06996A-7CF6-4771-B138-FD7481930982.jpeg

Pretty standard. If you have softened water for your home, you should consider using it for makeup water due to evaporation.

Only real way to remove water line scale is soda or kieserite blasting. You can try spraying dilute muriatic acid and using a scrub brush (use eye protection). I also saw a thread on someone using Barkeepers friend cleanser as a paste. Do a search.

Reactions: W.J.Christy
Pretty standard. If you have softened water for your home, you should consider using it for makeup water due to evaporation.

Only real way to remove water line scale is soda or kieserite blasting. You can try spraying dilute muriatic acid and using a scrub brush (use eye protection). I also saw a thread on someone using Barkeepers friend cleanser as a paste. Do a search.
I’ll try the acid method first and see how that works. I don’t have a water softener but I have considered it. Thanks for the help 😁

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.