Gold Supporter
May 13, 2018
Wilmington, NC
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
I'm fairly new on TFP. Thanks for your prior help. I saw the value in TFP, so this pool girl made a donation! Saw the light after reading many posts and have now switched from test strips to K-100. Many thanks:cool:

Questions:Despite going slowly with adding the recommended chems to balance, I'm having some swinging of values. Here are the initial chems from my first test and what they are now.

2 wks ago Now
FC 1 10 I'm assuming the CYA increase has significantly raised this level. I put SWG from 60% to
50% and I'm wondering if I should turn it down lower? I have not put in any liquid
chlorine since I added CYA.

CC .5 0
pH > 8.6 7.2 Have had difficulty with high TA/high pH, which I see is common in SWG pools. I also
TA 150 6.0 wonder if the spillover and waterfall contribute to that as well. Have tried the "lower pH
+ aerate" to balance these. These 2 values just keep creeping up.

CH 125 325 Could I have my scale from too low a CH? Should I continue to raise given the scale?

CYA 30 70 My SWG manual says in temps> 30C (we are there now where I live) I should have
even as high as 85. I'm reluctant as wonder if this will make my FC go even higher.
Thought I'd leave it at 70 till my FC comes down a bit.

Have thought about adding bromine, but see it is just going to raise my TA.

***All along I have had clear, sparkling water!

Any help with these questions is appreciated!

Re: Scale, high TA and

Just let your chlorine lower by itself. You are safe to swim up to 28FC for your CYA level.
TA: Test your water that you top off the pool with. If your TA is high there you will just have to keep adding Muriatic Acid. My fill water TA is 140 so it just keeps climbing and I have to add some MA twice a week.
I also think you meant borate, not bromine. You don't want/need bromines in an outdoor pool. Borates can help with pH rise.

Re: Scale, high TA and

I'm reposting as the post did not come out the way it looked in the posting screen and I realized it may have been confusing.

I saw the value in TFP, so this pool girl made a donation over a week ago, but noticed there is no acknowledgement icon? Unfortunately I purchased the K-100 before and missed out on the discount.

Saw the light after reading many posts and have now switched from test strips to K-100. Many thanks!

Questions despite going slowly with adding the recommended chems to balance, I'm having some swinging of values. Here are the initial chems from my first test and what they are now.

2 wks ago
FC 1
CC .5
pH > 8.6
TA 150
CH 125
CYA 30

Now
FC 10
CC 0
pH 7.2
TA 60
CH 325
CYA 70

Could I have my scale from too low a CH? Should I continue to raise the CH given the scale?

NOTE From Mod: Merged threads. Same subject

Last edited by a moderator:
Welcome to TFP and thank you for your Support!

Low CH does not contribute to scale. High pH and high TA can push you towards scaling tendency. Where is the scale? Can it be removed with dilute muriatic acid?

Your CH in the second test above is great. No need to raise it. All values look good in 2nd test.

A great way to understand how much chlorine your SWCG generates given a certain % setting and pump run time you can use the SWG Run Time Calculator. You do need the amount of chlorine your SWCG can generate in 24 hours. That should be available in your owners manual.

Take care.

Re:  Scale, high TA and

Thanks Kabutotx! I tested my fill water and found it to have a TA of 30 and CH of 25. I guess those levels are good?

Yes I meant bromates! Will order some and give a try.

The scale is all over my waterline tiles and spa spillover tiles. It doesn't come off with muriatic acid. I saw in a YouTube where a pool professional put Gysar + MA and made a thick paste to clean the scale. Is that recommended?

It's not the time of year I want to drain for and acid wash.

I do feel I have my chems under control now. Just hate that ugly scale!

Maintain your pH on the low end (7.2) and TA were you have it and the scale will soften and redissolve into the water, some.

Do not know what Gysar is. I just use diluted MA.

Take care.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.