Sanitizing my sort of new to me hot tub.

Brilis

May 4, 2020
Mahwah, NJ
Hey guys,
I moved into a new house less then 3 years ago. Inherited an old Gulf Coast LX11000 hot tub. 8 foot by 8 foot, 650 gallons. Set it up last year, only used it from April to Oct. Then shut it down. I have an pool that I have been taking care of with no issues using pool math. I have just finished reading the how to use chlorine sticky. Lots of info.
What I did last year and it seemed to work was get the PH, TA and CH levels good, then just float these oneshock sanitizer/shock small tabs in a floater. Active ingredient Sodium Dichloro-s-Triazinetrione, Hydrated 99%. Available chlorine 55.5%.
Did not do too much checking on levels as nobody really used the spa. Maybe a handful of times. This season set it up the same way but decided to use liquid chlorine 10%. Same as I use in my pool. FC goes from 8-9 to 0 with no use. Water sits at around 95 degrees with cover on. Spa sits under a deck so no sunlight ever.
My question is can I just float the one shock in a floater with a few tabs and monitor FC, or can I just add liquid 10% chlorine each day? Not sure what the heck is the right way to go. Thanks! I used a test kit not strips.

Can I just get my PH, TA, CYA in order. Then use my floater with 1 or 2 of these Oneshock tabs each day. I can check FC each day and make sure it stays between 3-6 or are these tabs not the right way to go? Thanks.

If it's new to you I would do a big sanitizing. Start with Ahhsome biofilm remover to really scrub the piping. I would run all the jets for about an hour, you can turn the heat down. Drain, refill, run pumps again and if very dirty water is around do the first step again. I would next hit it with about 10 PPM chlorine for about 15 minutes running the pumps. Drain and refill, you should be fully sanitized at this point and ready to go! I would use Dichlor chlorine until you get to 30 PPM CYA and then switch to bleach.

How much bleach (10% same as I use in my pool) would you think a hardly used 650 gallon hot tub take per day? So do not use the 1 inch tabs in my floater that I posted a picture of? Thanks for the assistance.

Assuming the tabs are chlorine and not bromine, then no don't use them. You have to get stablizer into the tub to about 30 PPM, I used to use dichlor which is granular chlorine. Once I hit around that 30 I switched to bleach. Using pool math a 650 gallon tub using 10% bleach will give you 5 PPM chlorine with 4 Oz or 3.6 PPM with 3 Oz. Based on my knowledge you want to have a 3 PPM level of chlorine 20 minutes after dosing. Bacteria is more fragile than algae and the initial dose will kill it and the residual will keep it at bay. If you use the tub or 24 hours later test and repeat or adjust.

I used to follow a Microbiologist way of dosing that worked for us, never had an issue just using chlorine based products.

You still have to worry about all the other parameters as well.

Have you read this yet?

Your tabs are Di-Chlor. Sodium Dichloro-s-Triazinetrione

As others said, read the post on how to use Chlorine in your spa.

Here is what I do.
1) I purge my spa with AahSome and then do a water change (wiping everything down, cleaning filters, etc)
2) At refill I add Di-chlor, and acid to get to a good FC level and pH
3) I continue to add Di-Chlor daily to maintain FC, until my CYA reaches 30
4) I also continue to add acid as necessary and check TA until I get things in balance where my pH does not require daily acid dosing (takes about a week)
5) I then use bleach (6%) daily to maintain FC levels, and occasionally adjust pH as necessary
6) I also add bleach after we use the spa

My tub takes approximately 1.5 to 2.0 oz of 6% bleach a day to maintain FC. However my tub has an ozone generator, which while a good oxidizer also degrades FC. You tub is also quite a bit larger than mine. You will have to see how your tub behaves.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.