Sand or cartridge

K,

To me it matters how big the filter is.

I love large cartridge filters.. Small ones not so much.

Cartridge filters have dirt simple plumbing, no Multiport valve to go bad or leak..

What specific filter did they give you?

Thanks,

Jim R.

The S 200 is a sand filter. For once, a model # makes sense. SAND- 200LBS. so its about 2/3 as big as the one that holds 350lbs. If we were to assume small/medium/large equvalents with cratridges, that would be the 300 sq ft range.

I gave the wrong model number.
It's a C200S SwimClear Cartridge Filter

The guy who did the plumbing said it was a single cartridge and more than adequate but he would have preferred one with 4 cartridges. All the contract said was Hayward sandfilter but no model numbers were given.IMG_1567.jpgIMG_1568.jpgIMG_1566.jpg

Just my 2 cents, if your in Atlanta you need a bigger filter if you have trees around your pool. See all that yellow junk on your car in the spring, it will get in your pool and clog a filter.

Good news is it easy to clean so not the end of the world if your stuck with it but can’t hurt to ask.
Single cartridge filters are easy to open and hose off and after our yellow dusting it’s not as bad

Also get hair nets for your skimmer baskets, will surprise you how clogged they get with pollen

Reactions: newdude
This is copied from the contract:
Scope of Work: Build a 16 X 32 in ground freeform gunite swimming pool 5 ft deep with pebble finish e/w a Hayward 1hp
pool pump, Hayward 3⁄4 hp cleaner pump, Hayward sand filter, Hayward Tri Vac 700 pool cleaner, Hayward Pro Logic
control e/w an ION or Hayward salt chlorine generator purifier and two Hayward Color Logic low voltage led lights. This
includes an 6 ft X 8 ft tanning ledge inside the pool equipped with two bubblers and an umbrella holder. Also included is a
7 ft round spillover spa e/w a 2 hp spa jet pump, air blower, led light, a 250K Hayward gas heater and a remote control.
This includes 600 sq ft of brushed concrete deck and poured cantilever coping. All permits are included. Standard pebble
and tile choices to be determined.

The filter is not the only thing that has changed. I was to have two water pumps, one for the pool and one for the spa. I had upgraded the pool pump to a 2.7 and when the plumber came he told me that the spa and pool were not plumbed separately and I would only be able to use one of the pumps.

Swap it for a bigger one if possible. Many things equipment related have relied on whatever was available at the time. My PB wouldnt specify anything other than ' Jandy equipment' on the contract.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Swap it for a bigger one if possible. Many things equipment related have relied on whatever was available at the time. My PB wouldnt specify anything other than ' Jandy equipment' on the contract.
Availability could have played a part but I suspect based on everything else that it is a lack of attention by the builder. My recollection is that he has only been here for dig day while work was taking place or stopping by for a check at the end of the day. Assuming it was a lack of availability, it would be reasonable for him to contact me and explain the situation and ask what I would like to do. Just like specifying the two water pumps in the contract but not plumbing for them. I'm just glad on the pump that I upsized it from the 1.85 to the 2.7.

How much larger in diameter would a larger filter be? It looks like the builder and I will have some renegotiation to do before we are done.

Availability could have played a part but I suspect based on everything else that it is a lack of attention by the builder. My recollection is that he has only been here for dig day while work was taking place or stopping by for a check at the end of the day. Assuming it was a lack of availability, it would be reasonable for him to contact me and explain the situation and ask what I would like to do. Just like specifying the two water pumps in the contract but not plumbing for them. I'm just glad on the pump that I upsized it from the 1.85 to the 2.7.

How much larger in diameter would a larger filter be? It looks like the builder and I will have some renegotiation to do before we are done.
Seriously get the biggest 4 cartridge filter you can. Pool is 22000 and I had a small cartridge filter and had to clean it a lot. I now have a Hayward 4030 and still clean it after spring pollen and maybe once mid summer just to see how it looks :)
It’s not my money but would be worth paying $500 more now to get it upgraded.
Could even say the plumber and friends all said that it’s too small.

Option 2 is if you can run PVC could buy one and swap it your self next year :)

Plus trees are constantly dropping junk all year round. I just started using hair nets on the skimmers a couple years back and it helped.

I will likely have it changed out to something larger. We have lots of debris pollen and everything else falling from trees all year. I will go out tomorrow and see how much room is out there around the equipment. The builder really should have talked with me about it before sending it over and installing it.

I will likely have it changed out to something larger. We have lots of debris pollen and everything else falling from trees all year. I will go out tomorrow and see how much room is out there around the equipment. The builder really should have talked with me about it before sending it over and installing it.
If nothing else demand a big sand filter. In Atlanta and the junk being able to backwash isn't a bad thing :)

I have a 25,000 gallon pool I use a 200sq foot single cartridge for. Different brand but basically the same. I live in WNC. Pollen, needles, the works. So as soon as I start sneezing I put the nylon socks over my skimmer. It saves a ton of work spraying out those pleats. The filter system as it stands now has been just fine. I won’t ever use a sand filter myself because those gazillion pleats catch everything. Stick with it and see how you like it.

I have a 25,000 gallon pool I use a 200sq foot single cartridge
Your pool is much bigger than ours but we do live in lots of trees and I like the idea of not having to clean the filter as often. The plumber basically said that this filter would be more than adequate on our pool. If it works fine on yours it should be great on ours.
Having said that I will push to have it changed for a larger one that has four cartridges. I looked at a couple of websites and it looks like availability could be a problem depending on what filter and where they come from.
If nothing else demand a big sand filter.
The pad is on top of a wall with a 10 foot drop. A drain was not tied into the deck drain system which means I'd have to backwash it over and down the wall. That is another reason at this point that a cartridge would be better.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.