Mbehr1983

Mar 29, 2021
Harvest Al
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
Hey I posted recently about my steps with sand getting in the pool.
I thought it was sand from the steps but they have been removed. It gets cloudy when I brush or vacuum. It has been raining a bit here recently! We test and run the pump daily! How can I keep this from happening?AC55CD42-B2BE-4F7F-9AB4-A00606BD8CEE.jpeg

Attachments

• 8FA438C7-3F08-4310-BE33-5FF42CC531BA.jpeg
    8FA438C7-3F08-4310-BE33-5FF42CC531BA.jpeg
    289.1 KB · Views: 8
Sand doesn't usually poof up, algae always does.

Looking at your PoolMath logs you logged your CYA as 55, which you want to round up to 60. Per the FC/CYA Levels the minimum FC that you always want to stay above is 5 ppm. Your logs show you consistently dropping below that, which is allowing algae to very slowly take hold. That's why the water is clear but you're getting dead algae building up.

You'll want to perform the SLAM Process and make sure you pass all three criteria (if you see algae on the bottom then you don't pass the clear water criteria even if the water itself is clear) before letting up. Then target about 9 ppm FC when you dose and don't let it fall below 5 ppm. That should resolve the issue.

Reactions: Mbehr1983
Ok thanks we did the slam. Then why does pool math keep us at 7 for FC not 9? That’s why it’s low we do what pool math says. Is there really a point to start the slam with rain in the forecast?

PoolMath is a tool, you shouldn't just be blindly following it. If you are falling below the minimum you have to recognize and correct that.

I do not understand the rain question.

I don't think you actually completed the SLAM Process. According to your PoolMath logs, your highest FC was 20 - and that was only one test. Your CYA is 60 (round up), your SLAM level is FC 24.

Might be time to SLAM Process again. Remember, it's not a one and done process. Test FC numerous times daily (but not more than once per hour). Many shoot for 4 times a day testing. And bring FC back up to SLAM Process level. Be sure you meet all three criteria for successfully passing the SLAM.

Outside the SLAM, with CYA 60, your absolute minimum FC is 5. Target FC for CYA 60 is 7-9. In summer, most pools lose 2-4 ppm of FC daily. It's okay to dose a couple points above target level. And it is safe to swim anytime FC is at or above minimum and at or below SLAM (based on your CYA) and you can clearly see the entire bottom of your pool.

The rain isn't going to affect the SLAM Process much. SLAM Process away!

I don't think you actually completed the SLAM Process. According to your PoolMath logs, your highest FC was 20 - and that was only one test. Your CYA is 60 (round up), your SLAM level is FC 24.

Might be time to SLAM Process again. Remember, it's not a one and done process. Test FC numerous times daily (but not more than once per hour). Many shoot for 4 times a day testing. And bring FC back up to SLAM Process level. Be sure you meet all three criteria for successfully passing the SLAM.

Outside the SLAM, with CYA 60, your absolute minimum FC is 5. Target FC for CYA 60 is 7-9. In summer, most pools lose 2-4 ppm of FC daily. It's okay to dose a couple points above target level. And it is safe to swim anytime FC is at or above minimum and at or below SLAM (based on your CYA) and you can clearly see the entire bottom of your pool.

The rain isn't going to affect the SLAM Process much. SLAM Process away!
Yeah we slammed for a few days! My wife used her phone to log not sure y they don’t communicate with each other. Will start slamming now. We keep the FC at the recommended range and check daily and add daily which like you said is 7-9

PoolMath is a tool, you shouldn't just be blindly following it. If you are falling below the minimum you have to recognize and correct that.

I do not understand the rain question
How is it blindly following? We put in the number it tells us what to add. What am I supposed to do say oh it needs more of this or that compared to what the app says

What am I supposed to do say oh it needs more of this or that compared to what the app says
Yes, that is exactly what you are supposed to do. To do something without question is pretty much the definition of "blindly following".

TFPC is about understanding your pool, what your water chemistry is, and why you do what you do.

Every pool is different. If you were dosing at FC 7 and you eventually had another issue, chances are your FC fell below your minimum of FC 5 for a while. So dose to FC 9 each and every time. You will burn off the most FC in daylight hours. I tend to test in late afternoon and add liquid chlorine at that time as that test should be the lowest my FC will go for the day. If you are testing in the morning or early afternoon and only dosing to 7, you are taking a big risk that your FC will fall below minimum at some point prior to your next test. So either test whenever and run a little hot or test late in the day and dose for the upper end of target.

Your consistent testing will show you how much FC you lose daily. If you are testing at approximately the same time daily, you will quixkly get a feel for how your FC use pans out. Remember, minimum FC based on your CYA is like a cliff you never want to fall off.

Reactions: Mbehr1983
Every pool is different. If you were dosing at FC 7 and you eventually had another issue, chances are your FC fell below your minimum of FC 5 for a while. So dose to FC 9 each and every time. You will burn off the most FC in daylight hours. I tend to test in late afternoon and add liquid chlorine at that time as that test should be the lowest my FC will go for the day. If you are testing in the morning or early afternoon and only dosing to 7, you are taking a big risk that your FC will fall below minimum at some point prior to your next test. So either test whenever and run a little hot or test late in the day and dose for the upper end of target.

Your consistent testing will show you how much FC you lose daily. If you are testing at approximately the same time daily, you will quixkly get a feel for how your FC use pans out. Remember, minimum FC based on your CYA is like a cliff you never want to fall off.
Yes we usually test in the evening! We’ll up the recommended FC to the top of the range

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.