Sand Filter Questions - silica, glass, balls, gravel

Supermaughan

May 14, 2024
Spokane Washington
At the end of last season I was getting a lot of sand coming out of my returns. I knew I would have to repair my laterals. So at the start of this season I emptied all the sand from my System 3 S8S70 filter to inspect the internals. It was broken in several places and I ordered a full replace replacement for $500 from Amazon. Now I'm debating on what to refill it with. The filter takes 300lbs of sand. The brakes make me thing that the moisture left in the sand may have cause the breaks to the main pipes over the winter. The laterals look like they are being pulled downward and breaking. I'm intrigued by the filter balls but don't feel like opening it up monthly to clean them. Glass seems better than silica but is expensive. I have also read that people put pea gravel in the bottom first to help support the laterals. If I go with balls, seems like I better have the pea gravel. Should I put pea gravel if I plan on using sand? I see many good reviews on the balls but then some very adamant 'DON"T DO IT's. If I do use pea gravel, can I just go buy it at the local hardware store?

I appreciate any advice. 20k gallon inground pool (vinyl liner).

At the end of last season I was getting a lot of sand coming out of my returns. I knew I would have to repair my laterals. So at the start of this season I emptied all the sand from my System 3 S8S70 filter to inspect the internals. It was broken in several places and I ordered a full replace replacement for $500 from Amazon. Now I'm debating on what to refill it with. The filter takes 300lbs of sand. The brakes make me thing that the moisture left in the sand may have cause the breaks to the main pipes over the winter. The laterals look like they are being pulled downward and breaking. I'm intrigued by the filter balls but don't feel like opening it up monthly to clean them. Glass seems better than silica but is expensive. I have also read that people put pea gravel in the bottom first to help support the laterals. If I go with balls, seems like I better have the pea gravel. Should I put pea gravel if I plan on using sand? I see many good reviews on the balls but then some very adamant 'DON"T DO IT's. If I do use pea gravel, can I just go buy it at the local hardware store?

The small bed of sand and water gets installed before the laterals go in, then you fill up slowly with water and sand so the sand fills in any space under the laterals and supports them.

I have glass and it filters about the same as sand did.

There is a logical reason they are named SAND filters. They work with sand. It remains the sensible best.

If you think about the laterals being surrounded by sand and under water, there is no downward force on the laterals.

The pea gravel seems like a decent idea at first but I am not convinced of the benefit. My TR-140 filter is ALL sand and no issues after 13+ years

Reactions: Mdragger88

Use sand. Only sand, unless you really want to use something else more expensive, including a bed of gravel, that won't really give any benefit.
Fill the tank with water above the level of the laterals then add the sand It will flow under and surround them. From the manual:

3. To eliminate stress on laterals (Key No. 8A) fill tank half-full of water before loading sand.
4. When full, top of sand bed should be about 12-1/2” (31.75 cm) below top of distributor (about 1-1/2” (3.8 cm) below tank flange (see Figure 2).

There is no mention of gravel in the manual. Gravel is a holdover from earlier times and was used in what were called "rapid sand" filters that basically used gravity to allow the water to flow downward through the sand. They needed the gravel's less dense area for the water to get through the laterals, had a flow rate of about 5gpm so had to be incredibly large and were not pressurized. One here in town on a large City pool was literally made from an old railcar, had tons of sand in it. A friend and I were called to give a bid on replacing the sand, climbed on the top and opened the hatch with the system running the flow was so gentle, even with the 15hp pump. We passed on the job.

High-rate sand filters, like yours and what are on sand-filter installations today, don't need the gravel as the water is circulated through the sand bed and out with the filter pump.

Last edited:
Thanks for the replies. This is the conclusion I had come to also. We bought the house 5 years ago and I have no idea when the last time the sand was changed, or even how old the filter is. I was just disappointed when I got the 300lbs of sand out and the things was all busted up. I'm not sure I can put sand in before I mount the lateral assembly because the return is lower than the laterals. I guess I mount the assembly, add water and then pour in the sand.
I'm wondering if I need to do something different when winterizing but I'm not sure how to get all the moisture out of the sand.