Sand filter problem?

Aug 5, 2015
Gerrardstown, WV
Opening my 27 ft above ground pool for the season, I see there's a lot of work for the sand filter to do (not debris; water is murky) When I turn the pump on, there's a nice, strong flow of water coming through the inlet. Within about 15 minutes, the flow is greatly reduced, suggesting the need for a backwashing. (We replaced the sand about 5 yrs ago.)

I run the backwash but the glass bubble on the filter shows very little murkiness in the discharge water, way less than I'd expect of a filter that was clogged with all the green pollen that's in my pool. Finishing the (very brief) backwash cycle, I return the handle to the filtering position and restart the pump. Again, a nice, strong flow of water that lasts for about 15 minutes before slowing to a weak flow. And 'round and 'round I go...

It sounds to me like your filter is doing it's job.....catching debris in the water and filtering it out. The frequent backwashes only suggest there is a lot of debris. What is the psi after backwash? What is the psi when flow slows to a trickle?

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.