Sand filter needs frequent backwashing. Normal?

Bret1t

May 12, 2020
Southern Illinois
moved from Needing to backwash every hour. Normal?

I'm in the same boat, or pool, as Rambo but mine is at my rental house which I'm not at all of the time. It was doing this loss of presssure last year also I noticed. I did use a flocker last year. I didn't know that would ruin my sand, that's a thing?

I did a deep clean on the sand filter this week, great idea and easy to do, thanks for that. Vac out some crud, clean filter basket, backwash, drain then to filter. Great pressure. Hour or so later and it all still works but the pressure is way down and speed into the skimmer is much lower. Back wash for a few minutes and it good again.

Just sticky sand? I'm not above replacing it but i don't want ruin the next batch of sand.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi, welcome to TFP ! What does your water look like? Do you have a current set of test results you can post?
It sounds like your filter is functioning as it should, if the pool is really dirty, and/or your filter is really small. The floc may have ruined your sand, but I can't say for sure until I know more about your pool. Pictures of the pool, water, and equipment would help too.

The pool is actually lining out as I have been hitting it hard over the weekend and the chlorine is stabilizing and it is almost clear. Not "right" but a long way from last week.

From what Zea replied and everything I have been reading on the site (Excellent info btw!), I'm getting a better test kit.
Until it arrives, I'm going to keep on the chlorine levels with my OTO test to at least make sure it is stable and yes, there was some serious algae in there to start. I'm going to round up materials and work up a SLAM.
When I deep cleaned the sand filter is was quite green. It might need another deep clean as it was getting dark when I cleaned it after work.
I had no idea about the algae just hanging around waiting for the first chance to bloom until last week, thanks all. Very possibly my issue last year just carrying over and restarting this year.

After a second, much more complete deep clean of the sand filter and nice steady SLAM things have really lined out over the last week.
Chems are all staying where they should and the pump has nice flow out of the filter at the return.

You all are spot on, thanks very much.

Reactions: zea3
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.