Sand filter might be broken?

I have an sd80. I just replaced the sand and put everything back together. I have it set on filter and there's water gushing out my backwash line. The toggle lever feels lose (I've been using it for 12 years, I should know). And it feels gritty switching between the different valves. When I asked my pool builder who replaced the sand and put everything back together, he said to put a winterizing plug in it. That feels unsafe and not necessary. Its 12 years old, could that toggle assembly be broken?

To be sure we understand, is your builder suggesting you put a winterizing plug in the backwash port? Your multiport valve appears to have a problem. Some of the internal parts are worn (spider gasket, stem spring, etc) and need to be replaced, or if it's more cost effective, the entire multiport valve replaced.

Yes, putting a plug in the backwash port. Is it worth opening the housing to see whats worn or should I just replace it? I did some searching and I cant find this exact part online. I mean, I'm ready to drop 600 on a new filter since this is the latest in a slew of pool issues that kept us from swimming the entire summer. I am beyond ****** off.

Well, if there is any ID label or info on the MPV, you could post a pic and we can take a look. MPVs are different. Some make sense to repair, and some others it's just easier to replace (cost). Now if the entire filter assembly has reached its service life and you think you might replace it next season, then sure, plug the port and just hang-on until closing in a month or so.

Definitely sounds as though your spider gasket is compromised at a minimum. You could remove the screws on top and take a look. Nothing wrong with that. You might seem something obvious with the gasket or something else that might have failed and be a fairly easy fix . If not, you might see if you can limp along in recirculate most of the time if the MPV will allow it.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.