Sand Filter looks like a swamp

ChristineM

Bronze Supporter
Jun 16, 2017
Brentwood, NOR CAL
My Sand Filter is on it's third year and didn't get taken care of over the winter. I opened it up and the sand is partially black and smells like a swamp, gross!
Can I salvage this?

I don't want to buy a new one!

Will it be okay?? help!

Last edited:
You’ll need to deep clean it and then probably run it through a few backwash and rinse cycles until the water runs clear.

The sand in your filter is millions of years old. It will exist long after you are gone. It simply is fouled with biological growth. That can be taken care of with cleaning. Good luck.

You’ll need to deep clean it and then probably run it through a few backwash and rinse cycles until the water runs clear.

The sand in your filter is millions of years old. It will exist long after you are gone. It simply is fouled with biological growth. That can be taken care of with cleaning. Good luck.
Thank you. I don't have any water in my pool right now. We are getting ready to fill it but want to make sure the filter is good to go! Also, the pvc pipe in the middle has shifted when I attempted to move the tank (omg, it's heavy!).... I'm not sure what to do!

Okay, read the article watched the videos...

The lateral in my filter shifted when I was trying to empty it a little. Some sand got inside the stand pipe.
1. How do I remove the sand? Or will it be okay?
2. because it smells like a swamp I was going to flood it as shown in the video but also add some bleach. Is that okay?

You will want to get the sand out of the standpipe. Shop vac?
You can put some bleach in the sand if you like. Lots of water will clean it.

Reactions: ChristineM

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thank you... and I accidentally shifted the standpipe so it's not at the bottom any more. :(
I may need to clean all the old sand out.

It looks like your filter may be only about 55lbs. If you have access to a good sized wet/dry shopvac, you can suction the sand out of the filter a little bit at a time and dump it out onto a tarp or into a wheelbarrow. Then you can clean and reset everything in place. It's not a lot of sand so if you really want to, you can simply buy new sand. You can use the old sand for filling in flowerbeds or other landscape needs.

Reactions: ChristineM
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.