Sand filter leaking after cleaning

Fungi

May 5, 2015
Central Illinois
I did my first deep cleaning of the filter sand and when I put it back together there was about 1/8" gap that I could not get it down any further. I added the clamps and igt looked like it brought it together, but see now it's leaking around the seal in back. What happened? My flow problems were cured but now this leak to deal with...

Also I wanted to add more pictures but I apparently have a 250k limit?

pool-trouble-08.jpg

I wonder if during your deep cleaning you disturbed the standpipe and laterals causing them to rise up in the tank and so not allowing the assembly to sit correctly and seal. If this is the problem you need to remove/shop vac the sand out and re-seat the standpipe and lateral assembly. I know it is a pain, but I think this is what has happened. When you shop vac, pour the sand onto a tarp, and when refilling place a cardboard triangle over the standpipe so sand does not enter it. When deep cleaning the sand filter (which is needed yearly), one can be a little aggressive in moving the sand around which causes the pipe and laterals to rise a little.

@Texas Splash, I just picked up some petrolium jelly and will give it a try. It was quite a job getting it loose, so it might be just really tight.

@azide999, I never got the impression it moved, but it is possible. If the lube don't work I will have to try removing the sand. Can you even vacuum up wet sand? Sounds like a really awful task. I may have to call the pool place because of my bad back.

Never use Petroleum Jelly on rubber gaskets. It will destroy them.

Magic Lube is what you should use.

I checked the valve end and it appears the recess for the stand pipe is not limited so if the pipe was lifted a bit it would still fit down all the way. I just added some lube and it popped into place with little effort. It's all leak free now. :) Thanks for the help.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.