Sand filter for Coleman pool

Jul 17, 2016
rhome
I have a 22 ft Coleman/Walmart pool, the pump that came with it quit working at the end of last year... Rather than buy another one, I want to take the opportunity to upgrade to a sand filter.... I could just buy one and figure out how to plumb it in when I get it, but I figured I'd take advantage of the knowledge on this site and ask for recommendations before I make my purchase

Our pool has two inlets and one outlet for the pump... Its 22'x52" which I believe is about 10k gallons... what size pump/filter will I need?... and are there any brands/models ya'll recommend?

Continuing my research as I wait for responses:

Looks like Intex is the preferred choice for these pools (and apparently made my the same manufacturer).... Looking online i see the 12" tank/2100 gph for $560, and the 14" tank/2800 gph for $460...... i assume bigger is better and that the price difference is due only to a difference in retailers......... so I'm about to pull the trigger on the 14"/2800 gph unless someone here stops me

If you get one of the Intex sand filter pump combos it should be easy to plumb to your pool. If you want something higher quality any 2 speed or 1hp above ground pump will do. Pentair, Jandy, Hayward, and Waterway are the most common brands. Look for an 18-22" sand filter that holds around 150lbs of sand.
The unfortunate thing is you may have trouble finding a pump and filter since the big February freeze wiped out a lot of pool equipment.

Yes with filters bigger is better.

Reactions: JRammit
Ok, so...

Pentair (sand dollar) looks like the cheapest... Hayward gets the most search results... Jandy and Waterway appear to be from the same company

One issue I read on the Wayerway/Jandy is NOT to use an extension cord.... I will definitely be using an extension cord since the pool is an extended distance from the plug..... maybe in this case too big may not be better... perhaps the 0.6 hp will put less load on the cord???

Plus I have to admit I like the built in timer on the Intex, and none of the other brands have that (at least not in this price range)

Plug in timers are inexpensive. If you have a power outage you have to reset the intex timer manually. Technically you are not supposed to run any pump off an extension cord, and if you ask us our official answer is don't do it. Some do it anyway and try to make it as safe as possible. Extension cords should be unplugged when not in use, they should not be put in conduit and buried, and they should not be plugged in when the pool is in use. Some pumps have cords with GFI built in and you should not run those with extension cords either. Using an extension cord that does not match or exceed the amps or watts of the pump is a fire hazard.

I know Intex gets bad rap, but honestly i am still using mine on my new 18’ permanent AGP until I’m ready to re-plumb, and even at .6hp I’m getting great circulation. You can see the current! So if that’s the way you decide to go for ease of install, it will be fine.

Reactions: JRammit
I ran my Hayward 1 HP pump on and extension cord for several weeks until we were able to get the electric to my deck fixed with no issues at all. It is not recommended but I just unplugged it if people were swimming. Sometimes you got to do what you got to do.

We had zero issues with our 1200gph Intex pump and filter that came with the pool. I only upgraded as I wanted to add some features for my son like a fountain, and water fall, the a robot cleaner for me. The Intex just could not keep up unfortunately. Time to go put it up on FB market place to make some room...

Reactions: pepsiholic

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.