Sand deposits on lawn from backwash

gevdog

Jun 7, 2018
Southern Ontario
This may be a stupid question, but I'm a new owner of a house with a pool. I've been regularly backwashing my sand filter after vacuuming (as per the previous owner's instructions). I've noticed that where the water comes out onto the lawn are small mounds of sand deposits. The sight glass is clear and the pressure is at 15psi (normal according to the previous owners). Is sand deposits from backwashing normal? I just don't want to drain the sand out of my filter. And I haven't noticed any sand in the pool (yet)

Typically due to too much sand in the filter or the pump is too big for the filter.

Since the previous owner says that it's normal and had to refill the filter, it's likely that the pump is oversized for the filter.

What are the model numbers of the pump and filter?

The previous owner said 15psi is normal. I don't know if they had sand coming out of the drain or not. It's a Jacuzzi laser 225-6/D filter, flow rate 20 gpm/sq ft, filter rate 53 gpm. The pump is a Jacuzzi Magnum 1hp. If it is excess sand in the filter do I need to do anything or will it stop after a while?

The previous owner said 15psi is normal.

Sorry I think metric 15 psi is equivalent to 103 kPa or 10 metres About 30 feet.

The filter internals are probably good for 20 kPa, and the loss through the MPV assuming it is standard about 20 kPa, result is 4 metres or about 12 feet. or 5.2 psi.

The flow rate is way too high for the filter.

Commonly what happens is an owner goes to a pool store and asks for a bigger pump. Typically the pool store suggest considering a bigger filter as well, however if client insists or the sales person is a little under trained the owner walks out with a bigger pump and installs it. Result is what you have now.

Having said all the above...looking at the signature I see a 1 horsepower pump and an 80,000 litre pool. This doesn't read correctly. I would expect 1.5 hp for a pool this size and wonder if the equipment fitted is not a mish mash for reasons unknown.

Almost no residential pool needs a 1.5 hp pump.

The pump is listed as a 1 hp, but it's probably a full rated pump with a total of 1.65 hp.

A total of 1 hp is good for almost any residential pool.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.