SampleSizer - Why did I wait so long to get it?

jseyfert3

Silver Supporter
Bronze Supporter
TFP Guide
Oct 20, 2017
Southern WI
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
Previous I’d been using a 10 mL syringe to measure out my samples, since 10 mL is what I use for FC and also for TA when filling a spa, and it also worked for 25 mL by filling twice full and once to 5 mL. I thought that was great...

But on my latest refill from TFTestkits I threw in a SampleSizer. I’d heard people say how much they liked it. Well THIS THING ROCKS! It’s one of the times I’ve gotten a specialized tool, then kicked myself for not getting it earlier cause while it only does one task, it does that task extremely easily and quickly.

This thing could not be easier. Rinse and fill test tube, fully lower in SampleSizer, remove, and you have a perfectly measured 10 or 25 mL sample depending which end of the SampleSizer was facing down.

Here’s a series of pictures showing how easy this is. Fill, lower, raise, done.
full

full

full

full

full

full

Just like the SpeedStir, you can live without it, but really you really should get it, it’s totally worth the money.

One note I found here on TFP: This does not work with the test tubes in the TF-100 test kit, it needs a Taylor 9198 test tube. This tube comes with the SpeedStir or the K-1766 salt test kit, or can be bought separately from TFTestkits.net or elsewhere.

Last edited:
You have to overflow the vial and spill water?
Yes. It works via displacement. You always fill the vial to more than you want for your test. This is any amount more from one extra mL up to a full vial. You insert the SampleSizer and it pushes all but 10 or 25 mL of water out of the vial, so when you remove it just the right amount of water is left to do your testing.

Glad to hear that!

I've got this sitting in my Amazon wishlist. It's one of those things that I would like to have but won't really buy it for myself as I get along just fine with my wash bottle and just filling the vial to the mark each time. Not sure that the sample sizer won't be more of a hassle, as I'll have to have a place for the water to spill over, but I'd still like to try it out. With the sample sizer, I wouldn't necessarily have to transfer my water to the wash bottle.

--Jeff

Nice. Did you have to get new testing tubes as well? I remember checking it out on the website, but thinking it would not work with my current tubes.

I also love the honey bear in the background intensely watching you test your water.

Nice. Did you have to get new testing tubes as well? I remember checking it out on the website, but thinking it would not work with my current tubes.
It doesn't work with TF testing tubes, has to be a Taylor tubes. The tube that comes with the SpeedStir and the one that comes with the Taylor salt test kit are the appropriate tubes for the SampleSizer. As I have a SpeedStir I was using that test tube already. I currently use only a single tube to test unlike some here that use multiple tubes and test poolside so spilling water isn't a concern for me.

Actually if you were one of the of the people that use multiple tubes for multiple tests this would be even better. Grab three tubes, dunk and fill all three at one, set them down somewhere a little water won't hurt, and insert and remove the SampleSizer in each tube one after the other. You could could have samples for testing FC, TA, and CH ready in about 15 seconds total by doing that. Hmm....I may have to buy extra tubes now!

Actually if you were one of the of the people that use multiple tubes for multiple tests this would be even better. Grab three tubes, dunk and fill all three at one, set them down somewhere a little water won't hurt, and insert and remove the SampleSizer in each tube one after the other. You could could have samples for testing FC, TA, and CH ready in about 15 seconds total by doing that. Hmm....I may have to buy extra tubes now!

Buy the tubes!!!

I have a dedicated tube for every test. It is much faster and easier and also incredibly cheap. Then when I am done testing I wash out each of the tubes and give them a final rinse with the left over pool water.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
And you also need individual beans for the SpeedStir for each tube.

Any idea where I get additional "beans" for SpeedStir, or possibly have a link?

*EDIT, nevermind, I just found this, and bought some of the 1 inch ones.

Last edited:
SWG makes a lot more sense down here with the length of the season
I was going to take my off line for the winter, but finding liquid chlorine other than the 3/4 gallon sized containers of laundry bleach at Wal-Mart has been difficult. For about two weeks now I have had to go and manually start up the SWCG later in the day once the water gets up to 50F. Only three days I couldn't do that. It's starting to warm up now. But I was amazed that I didn't have to shut it down for a couple of months in the "warmer climate". I think if your water temp didn't get much below 45F in the winter and you had a heater, or like me where it seems to bottom out at about 48F then.. wow.. it almost works year around.

I've had to add only a 1/2 gallon of liquid chlorine as I do it to make up for the couple of days a week I can't get out there and fire it up manually... not bad....

And by the way, I much prefer the Taylor cylinders....

With my thermal pool cover, the lowest it reached (so far) was 55F (12.8C). It is already "warming" back up (59F yesterday). I have a picture of me in the pool last year mid-February. Water reached 70F on it's own. I stayed in for 1 length! Once it is around 73F, I'll start heating it again. And once it is over 80F, no more heating.

But with 55F, the SWG runs great. I've been adding about 1 gallon of acid a month. Next stop, a CO2 tank for pH control.

love both the speed stir and the sample sizer, i bought a few more tubes for it. should have bought more pills too. i test in the kitchen so i get full tubes and use the sample sizer in the sink. i dont have to worry about pouring too much out and having to go back out to the pool

Reactions: jseyfert3

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.