Saltwater Pools in the Winter

cadw2005

Feb 8, 2021
Fort Worth, TX
I'm having a saltwater pool built right now and I had no idea about the SWG not working below a certain water temp. That's such a bummer. All the pool builders I got bids from said the automatic in-line chlorinator is better than a SWG system. However, not one mentioned the cold water issue! That might've helped their case, lol.
Building in north Fort Worth. Prices are pretty crazy here. In October I was quoted $94k for a basic 16'x40' rectangle pool with 4' to 6' depth. My neighbors a few doors down were quoted $95k with the same builder in June for a deeper free form pool with raised spa with spillway. I passed on his bid.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: BMeekins1
since you are in DFW area the cold time frame is probably limited to 3-4 months at most. Also, when it is cold and cloudy there is less demand of FC for your pool. So pouring liquid chlorine (LC) is not that much of an hazzle. For the 8-9 other months, the SWCG will be a blessing and in use when your demand for FC is at its highest. Plus when you go on vacation, your SWCG will keep generating FC daily while you are away. Everything has pros and cons - LC is better than using trichlor pucks and a SWCG is better than using LC but all have their place for use.

Reactions: cadw2005
Cad,

I have three saltwater pools and I'd rather have them filled in with dirt as have them use chlorine tablet feeders... :mrgreen:

You will love your new saltwater pool and that includes the couple of months in the winter when the cell does not work.

When you get out of a tablet pool, you feel like you need a shower. When you get out of a saltwater pool you feel like you just took a shower.

There are some rules however.. Your cell needs to be at least 2 x the volume of your new pool. So, a 20K pool needs a 40K or larger cell.

For best operation you will need a VS pump. This is because the pump needs to run long enough for the cell to make the chlorine that your pool needs. I personally run my VS pump, 24/7, at 1200 RPM most of the time, for less than $20 bucks a month.

Thanks,

Jim R.

When spring comes along you’ll be ECSTATIC you got the SWG. I’d rather take a chain saw to my right arm than not have an SWG. If you follow the TFP method it’s really either SWG or Liquid Chlorine.
Trust me in the summer you don’t want to be lugging LC to dump in your pool EVERY DAY. You want to enjoy your pool not make it your second job.
Yes even down here in Houston I have to add a full 36 oz cup of LC every FOUR days for a month or two due to the cold water shutoff on the SWG. Not a big deal.
You can look up the pitfalls of the TriChlor pucks pretty much anywhere on this site. Obviously you’ll then realize why SWG is pushed so heavily on this site and rightfully so.
My buddy just had a in-line chlorinated put in. I asked him if they sent a VCR with it..

Ya'll are too funny!
I agree - no way do I want to be messing around with pool chemicals on the daily during summer. Once a week in winter doesn't sound too bad. I was just surprised none of the pool builders even mentioned this very important fact about SWG pools in winter!

It's not an issue at all. I am in south Arkansas and there is really only about a month...2 tops that I have to manually add chlorine and even then its just once a week.

You will love the salt water pool!

I'm probably about the same distance north as you. My SWCG shuts off around the first of December and I just drop a floater with some tablets in there. I just refilled the thing last week (after checking my CYA) and that will probably be the last time I have to add any chlorine until the SWCG turns back on.

Besides dealing with leaves, winter maintenance is pretty easy around us.

I’m in Austin. Pool water gets too cold for at most for 2 months of the year. I bought a 4 pack of liquid chlorine (4 gallons total), I doubt I’ll need all 4 by the time my water heats back up. My pool is 20,000 gallons. Salt chlorine generators all the way!

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I'm probably about the same distance north as you. My SWCG shuts off around the first of December and I just drop a floater with some tablets in there. I just refilled the thing last week (after checking my CYA) and that will probably be the last time I have to add any chlorine until the SWCG turns back on.

Besides dealing with leaves, winter maintenance is pretty easy around us
Great idea! A floater would be pretty darn easy for sure. Do you use a solar cover for your pool? I was thinking that could help the water temp when it gets cold and also in the spring when I start heating the water all the time. Got a heat pump coming to extend the swim season on both ends!

I’m in Austin. Pool water gets too cold for at most for 2 months of the year. I bought a 4 pack of liquid chlorine (4 gallons total), I doubt I’ll need all 4 by the time my water heats back up. My pool is 20,000 gallons. Salt chlorine generators all the way!
I am excited for my SWG! Also, your pool color is amazing! The pool I saw in person with tropics blue pebble was much darker than yours. Is yours the Stonescapes mini pebble version or something else (touch of glass, micro, Puerto Rico blend)?

I'm having a saltwater pool built right now and I had no idea about the SWG not working below a certain water temp. That's such a bummer. All the pool builders I got bids from said the automatic in-line chlorinator is better than a SWG system. However, not one mentioned the cold water issue! That might've helped their case, lol.
Building in north Fort Worth. Prices are pretty crazy here. In October I was quoted $94k for a basic 16'x40' rectangle pool with 4' to 6' depth. My neighbors a few doors down were quoted $95k with the same builder in June for a deeper free form pool with raised spa with spillway. I passed on his bid.
Agree with all above. I'm in Atlanta and just went through my first summer with my SWG and it was maintenance free as far as the chlorine other than trying to find the sweet spot for % generation. I ran the % up just a tad before the cold weather and just added my first liquid colorine this month (I have an auto-cover so that has helped preserve the chlorine) but that will keep me going until the pool is warm enough to start up the SWG again in the spring I bet.

Our neighbor is putting a pool in this summer and is quoted $90K for a guinite pool 16x20 4-6 depth thats before the patio no spa, no cover, basic tile etc. Builders are quoting pools to start next August.

• Wow
I converted to SWG almost a year ago, right after my tablet feeder exploded spectacularly during the Hoth-like conditions in Houston. Definitely no regrets, as the costs of everything have skyrocketed.

When my water hit 60 degrees, I turned off the cell programming and have just been adding some bleach every so often. Even if you accidentally let it get down to zero, it isn't necessarily a huge tragedy- not too much is going to grow rapidly in sub-60 degree water (but don't go overboard with disregard- it will eventually catch up to you). Once it warms back up, I'll check the salt, CYA, and re-activate the schedule.

Before I got the SWG I would add bleach maybe once a week during the colder months, dosing it up to just above the upper control range and letting it drift down to the lower mark. Lather, rinse, repeat.

Great idea! A floater would be pretty darn easy for sure. Do you use a solar cover for your pool? I was thinking that could help the water temp when it gets cold and also in the spring when I start heating the water all the time. Got a heat pump coming to extend the swim season on both ends!
I don't have a solar cover. I have a natural gas heater so I can easily add a few degrees when needed a few times a year. If you plan on using the heat pump on a regular basis, and have a good place to store the solar cover, I say go for it.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.