Minnesota
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Intex Krystal Clear
I have a 15’x42” intex soft side with a SWG and 735 filter. Put it up 3 days ago, added salt on Tuesday, turned on filter for 24 hours, and then added liquid chlorine last night and turned on SWG. Connected over the side skimmer and cleaned filter. It has a greenish tint to it. I have a HDX basic 5 test kit. FC is at .6 and PH is at 8.2. I’m ordering TF-100 kit today but that won’t be here for awhile. What can I do in the meantime?

4600 gallons.

How much stabilizer did you put in the water? If none, then get 18oz by weight in there asap. That will bring your CYA level up to 30ppm.

You'll need to at least keep your FC level around 5 until you get a test kit, that is 36 ounces of 7.5 percent bleach every morning if you are losing all your FC during the day.

Last edited:
Reactions: Brianar
Great job ordering the TF-100. Best investment you'll make for your pool. If this is new water, you need to add some stabilizer to it, start with 30ppm. Use Pool Math to find out exactly how much that is. The green is almost certainly algae. Add 5ppm worth of liquid chlorine each day until your test kit arrives. This will start you off with fighting the algae that is starting to grow in your pool.

4600 gallons.

How much stabilizer did you put in the water?

You'll need to at least keep your FC level around 5 until you get a test kit, that is 36 ounces of 7.5 percent bleach every morning if you are losing all your FC during the day.
No stabilizer as of yet..I was hoping to get it tested first but can add it now

Brian, be sure to update your signature as well Show all your pool and equipment info. Add the test kit as well. With no stabilizer the FC is extremely harsh, so keep the FC at about 2-3 ppm until you get a sock soaking with stabilizer.

Are you on a well?

Brian, be sure to update your signature as well Show all your pool and equipment info. Add the test kit as well. With no stabilizer the FC is extremely harsh, so keep the FC at about 2-3 ppm until you get a sock soaking with stabilizer.

Are you on a well?
Yes I’m on a well. I’m 1/2 thinking it’s the metals too as the filter is brown before I wash it out.

I’m 1/2 thinking it’s the metals too as the filter is brown before I wash it out.
Yes, no doubt about it. Chlorine without stabilizer makes the iron that much more sensitive. So options going forward would be:
- Stabilizer then balance FC to CYA as noted on the FC/CYA Levels
- Keep the pH from exceeding 7.5
- Filter water though a polyfill material; try a 5-gal bucket or just in your skimmer
- Use a sequestrant to "contain" the iron in solution form; needs to be replenished occasionally
- Replace the iron water with fresh water - if possible.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.