Saltwater Pool Disaster!

Nope - I don't see your PoolMath logs when I click your profile pic.
I do see the log you manually added to a post.

Your email address and password for the forums amd PoolMath app must match.

Nope - I don't see your PoolMath logs when I click your profile pic.
I do see the log you manually added to a post.

Your email address and password for the forums amd PoolMath app must match.
They are the same. Another forum member replied that he was able to see my logs. Not sure what the problem could be. I'm just a newbie to the forum, so I don't know what else to do.

pH - 8.2
TA - 110
CH - 100
CYA - 0
FC - 0
CC - 0
Salt - 900
First thing you want to do is adjust your PH down to 7.4 or so first with muriatic acid. Considering you don’t have any CYA at all, I know you need to get some in there up to the 30ppm range. What I am not sure about is if you should go ahead and add chlorine based on 0 or not while that dissolves or if you should just wait for it to dissolve and you read 30 before beginning the slam. Always wait at least 15 minutes between doses of acid and chlorine though.

First thing you want to do is adjust your PH down to 7.4 or so first with muriatic acid. Considering you don’t have any CYA at all, I know you need to get some in there up to the 30ppm range. What I am not sure about is if you should go ahead and add chlorine based on 0 or not while that dissolves or if you should just wait for it to dissolve and you read 30 before beginning the slam. Always wait at least 15 minutes between doses of acid and chlorine though.

I just updated my signature and profile--I thought I already had, but I didn't go to the right place. I still haven't received my test kit, so I've kept adding a gallon of Clorox every evening, as you suggested. The water is blue, but cloudy. We've cleaned out the larvae, tadpoles, etc., and continue to brush, skim, and backwash each day.
Anything else I should do, for now, or any other info I should add to the signature?
Thanks!
I got my test kit today, and have posted results. The PoolMath calculator said add 1 qt, 2 cups, 4oz of 29% muriatic acid. I have 31% muriatic acid, so I've added 1 qt, 2 cups. If that was a mistake, let me know.
Do I add another gallon of bleach, tonight, or should I wait till tomorrow morning to check pH? Once pH is balanced, do I start adding salt, or liquid chlorine, or CYA, or what? And when do I want to start the salt generator, in the midst of all that?

Good job testing! :goodjob: Lowering the pH this evening is just fine. Since we've lost our sunlight and it may be getting late for some, I'd recommend starting the chlorine process tomorrow. I would recommend doing the following:
1. Add only liquid chlorine for an initial FC target of "10". Then test the FC in 10 minutes. If the FC held at 5 or above, that's good. But if the FC crashed below 5, increase it back to 10 right away and repeat the test in another 10 min. Do this until the FC holds for 10 minutes at 5 ppm or above.
2. Once the FC shows signs of holding, add the stabilizer for a CYA target of 30.
3. Now you can increase the FC to "12" your official SLAM level. Maintain it and press-on with the SLAM Process.

If you have any questions tomorrow let us know.

Reactions: lanikaigirl
I just updated my signature and profile--I thought I already had, but I didn't go to the right place. I still haven't received my test kit, so I've kept adding a gallon of Clorox every evening, as you suggested. The water is blue, but cloudy. We've cleaned out the larvae, tadpoles, etc., and continue to brush, skim, and backwash each day.
Anything else I should do, for now, or any other info I should add to the signature?
Thanks!

Good job testing! :goodjob: Lowering the pH this evening is just fine. Since we've lost our sunlight and it may be getting late for some, I'd recommend starting the chlorine process tomorrow. I would recommend doing the following:
1. Add only liquid chlorine for an initial FC target of "10". Then test the FC in 10 minutes. If the FC held at 5 or above, that's good. But if the FC crashed below 5, increase it back to 10 right away and repeat the test in another 10 min. Do this until the FC holds for 10 minutes at 5 ppm or above.
2. Once the FC shows signs of holding, add the stabilizer for a CYA target of 30.
3. Now you can increase the FC to "12" your official SLAM level. Maintain it and press-on with the SLAM Process.

If you have any questions tomorrow let us know.
Thank you!!

Reactions: Texas Splash

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thanks!
Be very careful of the bleach you use. It has to be PLAIN. No cloromax, no scents, dyes, or fabric softeners. The better option is the “chlorinating liquid” you can get from Walmart or Home Depot.

I got my test kit today, and have posted results. The PoolMath calculator said add 1 qt, 2 cups, 4oz of 29% muriatic acid. I have 31% muriatic acid, so I've added 1 qt, 2 cups. If that was a mistake, let me know.
Do I add another gallon of bleach, tonight, or should I wait till tomorrow morning to check pH? Once pH is balanced, do I start adding salt, or liquid chlorine, or CYA, or what? And when do I want to start the salt generator, in the midst of all that?

Are you using the PoolMath APP? It's "Effects of Adding" will help you with dosage amounts.
Got it. So I need 4 gal to raise it to 12, initially. Do I pick up another 8-12 gallons, in order to keep raising the FC, if it drops? Or will I need more, do you think? Hate to have to run back and forth to the store to get more... :)

Reactions: Texas Splash
Are you using the PoolMath APP? It's "Effects of Adding" will help you with dosage amounts.
Got it. So I need 4 gal to raise it to 12, initially. Do I pick up another 8-12 gallons, in order to keep raising the FC, if it drops? Or will I need more, do you think? Hate to have to run back and forth to the store to get more... :)

Do I pick up another 8-12 gallons, in order to keep raising the FC, if it drops?
Good morning! You will need additional bottles, but how much to pass the SLAM Process is hard to tell. I'd keep a few bottles nearby. As you see the FC fall (or remain fairly steady) you'll be able to gauge if a lot more bleach is required or just a small number of bottles.

Reactions: lanikaigirl
Good morning! You will need additional bottles, but how much to pass the SLAM Process is hard to tell. I'd keep a few bottles nearby. As you see the FC fall (or remain fairly steady) you'll be able to gauge if a lot more bleach is required or just a small number of bottles.
Do I get through SLAM BEFORE adding salt, or do I start adding now, so the salt level will be high enough to start the SWG when SLAM is complete? I need to add 40 40-lb bags of salt, so that's going to take see time...

What is your salt level now?
Adding liquid chlorine will raise your salt content a little bit.
How are you testing your pool water? How about salt levels?
Add your test kit(s) to your signature.

Do I get through SLAM BEFORE adding salt, or do I start adding now, so the salt level will be high enough to start the SWG when SLAM is complete?
You can add salt at any time. It's not relevant to the SLAM Process. However if you don't already have a Taylor K-1766 salt test kit, you should get one so that you don't put too much salt in the water. Many pool owners have a substantial salt level from months/years of liquid chlorine use.

900; testing with
You can add salt at any time. It's not relevant to the SLAM Process. However if you don't already have a Taylor K-1766 salt test kit, you should get one so that you don't put too much salt in the water. Many pool owners have a substantial salt level from months/years of liquid chlorine use.

This is a new fill after having new liner installed. We added 240 lbs of salt when pump was finally turned on, but had dark green water; pool store test had pH at 8.2, and we were waiting for a test kit to arrive, so the only action we took prior to that was adding a gallon of Clorox bleach every night, which resulted in blue water. We got the test kit yesterday, added muriatic acid, last night, and pH and TA are balanced this morning. Getting ready to do SLAM, as soon as I get more chlorinating liquid from the store.
My test results are posted.

We have the salt test kit, and will use it before adding any more salt. Since this is a new fill, we put in 240 lbs of salt after the pool was full and circulating, so it's in around 900 ppm.
I'm heading out to get bleach for SLAM, and will start today. Should I gradually add salt? What about CYA? And CH increaser?
Thanks!
🙂

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.