Saltwater damage to natural boulder waterfall?

tim_pool_newbie

Bronze Supporter
LifeTime Supporter
Oct 6, 2009
Nazareth, PA
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
CircuPool Core-55
I've been a loyal TFP subscriber and BBB method follower since I first installed my pool almost 10 years ago. But I must now admit that lugging all those bottles of bleach back from the store and remembering to pour them into the pool on a regular basis is starting to weigh on me. I'm seriously considering switching to a SWG simply to ensure consistent chlorine distribution to my pool - and avoid the algae breakouts I've have when traveling or just unable to get my pool maintenance chores completed in time.

However, I believe I read on this forum at one time that SWG's are not advised if you have a natural boulder water feature - which I do. Should I be

Can you add your location to your profile please? That would really help with what thoughts I might have.

I think it depends on the actual type of rock.

Have you ever tested your water level for salt? Bleach can add a significant amount to a pool if you do not get a lot of rain (location?!?!)
It is very possible that you already have 50% of the salt you would need.

And there are also some low-salt versions of SWGs, although I do not think they are as efficient.

Tim,

I'm pretty sure there are some pretty big rocks in the ocean that have been there a long, long time... :mrgreen:

The ocean is about 35,000 ppm of salt while a SWCG is about 3,500 ppm or about the same amount of salt that is in your tears...

Are they actually a rock or do you have some type of limestone or Flagstone... ?

Jim R.

Can you add your location to your profile please? That would really help with what thoughts I might have.

I think it depends on the actual type of rock.

Have you ever tested your water level for salt? Bleach can add a significant amount to a pool if you do not get a lot of rain (location?!?!)
It is very possible that you already have 50% of the salt you would need.

And there are also some low-salt versions of SWGse, although I do not think they are as efficient.
I've added my location to my profile. I live in Nazareth, PA (Northeast PA).
I haven't tested my pool for salt, but who knows given the amount of rain we've had lately!

Tim,

I'm pretty sure there are some pretty big rocks in the ocean that have been there a long, long time... :mrgreen:

The ocean is about 35,000 ppm of salt while a SWCG is about 3,500 ppm or about the same amount of salt that is in your tears...

Are they actually a rock or do you have some type of limestone or Flagstone... ?

Jim R.
All great points you make!! These are actual large granite (??) boulders that were brought in by truck to create the waterfall. They are each cemented in place, so maybe it's the fear of salt damage to the cement?? I believe I heard this advice on this forum originally, but can't find it now. I really want to move to SWG if possible, so just want someone to say "It will be OK"!! :)

IT WILL BE OK! (bangs the drum):laughblue::laughblue:
I can't think of anything that a salt pool would do to your granite boulders or your mortar... my water fall rocks haven't budged in the 15 years since I put in my SWG. About the only downside is you have to pay for the darn thing! Oh and you get lazy keeping up with your TFP protocols because it becomes so easy.

Reactions: tim_pool_newbie
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.