Saltwater Aurora all-resin pool build thread!

Congrats on your new pool!!!!! I’m sooooo guilty of living a bit vicariously through this thread! Spring can’t come soon enough for me.😉

You are more than welcome to hang out and enjoy! I’ll update with more pics this weekend!

Reactions: NoNamesLeft
Can’t wait to see updated pictures!!!! Love seeing the warm weather pictures and day dreaming of spring coming!

Oh my goodness I didn’t realize Tampa was still that warm in February!!!🤗🤗

This is me today (in Celsius) and this is our warm up this time of year😬😂

Attachments

• 447574DA-0B84-4F4D-8D7C-A6E07C38865B.jpeg
    447574DA-0B84-4F4D-8D7C-A6E07C38865B.jpeg
    203.9 KB · Views: 16
  • Wow
Reactions: kellyfair
Ok, so my outdoor thermometer skews a bit high, but trust me, it feels like this outside! We got the bond loop buried and I actually had to sit down for a bit - thought I was going to pass out!

2849F3EA-4BD6-49AD-ABAE-FE080215790F.jpeg

I was just in St Petersburg visiting my wife’s family a week ago - of course I only got to enjoy 60s and 70s, guess I was one week too soon!

Oh well, there was no snow on the ground. That’s enough for me. And the kids may have had me out in the heated hotel pool in the evenings with air temps in the low 60s... we’re cold blooded up here. 😁

Mag, last week was beautiful! This week is too... just much warmer!

Home Depot and Lowe’s are sick of me, and I am sick of them. I’m going one more time, and this time, I’m taking the item im trying to fit with me!

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I’m going one more time, and this time, I’m taking the item im trying to fit with me!
They have every piece but *that* one. You’ll find the right spot and it will be an open hole through to the other side.

But here is some well wishes that as you walk out dejected you notice 3 of what you need in the Sheetrock aisle where the last person changed their mind and put them down.

OMG. I am so aggravated! I finally figured out why my ball valve would not work with the new skimmer when it worked with the old IDENTICAL skimmer! Bless their hearts, my installers thought they were being helpful and they GLUED the hose barb in place! I did not use the hose barb in the old skimmer, which enabled me to craft a connection with regular PVC fittings. I also would not have used it in this one... if it wasn’t firmly glued in place.

Well, Kelly, just buy the larger threaded part that will fit the outside portion under the skimmer, and reduce it down past the barb!

That sounds like it would work, right? Except the outer threaded ring is a non-standard size! 2” is too small, 3” is way too big, and if they make 2.25 or 2.5 standard PVC fittings, no one around here has ever heard of them. Edit: they do make 2.5” for electrical applications. Not meant for plumbing. Think it would work?

2 days I’ve spent trying to work out this plumbing. How did I finally figure out the issue? That long story would involve pulling all the old bits out of the trash... and you know they were on the bottom of the pile.

So, I have a half filled pool, 90 degree days, no plumbing, and I am currently drowning my sorrows in Cadbury eggs.

Last edited:
OMG. I am so aggravated! I finally figured out why my ball valve would not work with the new skimmer when it worked with the old IDENTICAL skimmer! Bless their hearts, my installers thought they were being helpful and they GLUED the hose barb in place! I did not use the hose barb in the old skimmer, which enabled me to craft a connection with regular PVC fittings. I also would not have used it in this one... if it wasn’t firmly glued in place.

Well, Kelly, just buy the larger threaded part that will fit the outside portion under the skimmer, and reduce it down past the barb!

That sounds like it would work, right? Except the outer threaded ring is a non-standard size! 2” is too small, 3” is way too big, and if they make 2.25 or 2.5 standard PVC fittings, no one around here has ever heard of them.

2 days I’ve spent trying to work out this plumbing. How did I finally figure out the issue? That long story would involve pulling all the old bits out of the trash... and you know they were on the bottom of the pile.

So, I have a half filled pool, 90 degree days, no plumbing, and I am currently drowning my sorrows in Cadbury eggs.
Kelly, is it a Hayward skimmer? I found some other posts talking about a “proprietary Hayward union connector” being used for their exterior threads.

I found a link to this one in another thread:

Kelly, is it a Hayward skimmer? I found some other posts talking about a “proprietary Hayward union connector” being used for their exterior threads.

I found a link to this one in another thread:

It is, but the outer ring I’d need to connect to is about 2.5“. I wish I was dealing with 1.5”... I’d already be filtering!

It is, but the outer ring I’d need to connect to is about 2.5“. I wish I was dealing with 1.5”... I’d already be filtering!
The 1.5 on the link I shared is the slip end (top piece in the Amazon picture) — designed for a plain 1.5in pvc pipe to be glued into. It doesn’t give measurements on the other side (bottom piece on the Amazon picture - the side that in theory would screw onto your exterior threads) — but that has to be bigger than 1.5in because it fits over the 1.5 slip end piece.

I could be wrong, but if it’s a Hayward skimmer and it’s not a common size that it would make sense if it was designed for the Hayward union to fit onto.

To add -
I don’t have a Hayward union to test, but I do have a Hayward skimmer and some Pentair unions.

I measured the outside diameter of the outlet on the bottom of my skimmer at ~3 inches. I also measured the inside diameter of the Pentair 1.5 union screw-on fitting end at ~ 3 inches.

Wish I could give you something more concrete but I think odds are good that’s what you’re looking for.

The 1.5 on the link I shared is the slip end (top piece in the Amazon picture) — designed for a plain 1.5in pvc pipe to be glued into. It doesn’t give measurements on the other side (bottom piece on the Amazon picture - the side that in theory would screw onto your exterior threads) — but that has to be bigger than 1.5in because it fits over the 1.5 slip end piece.

I could be wrong, but if it’s a Hayward skimmer and it’s not a common size that it would make sense if it was designed for the Hayward union to fit onto.

Maybe... would sure be nice if dimensions were provided! I will ask question on Amazon and see if anyone responds.

To add -
I don’t have a Hayward union to test, but I do have a Hayward skimmer and some Pentair unions.

I measured the outside diameter of the outlet on the bottom of my skimmer at ~3 inches. I also measured the inside diameter of the Pentair 1.5 union screw-on fitting end at ~ 3 inches.

Wish I could give you something more concrete but I think odds are good that’s what you’re looking for.

I appreciate it. Maybe I will just go ahead and order, see what happens!

I definitely need to get robot ordered as that may be my only circulation until I get this figured out. I guess I could replace the whole skimmer, if nothing else does the trick. :(

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.