Salt water generators always failing. Want to do something else

ACJC

Jul 11, 2022
Vidalia ga
Want to try something besides chlorine and salt water generator. Seems like the salt water generators are cheaply made. We have done everything that all this and the local pool place, etc.. have said but the generators/cells fail. Mainly the cells but to replace cost 2 to 300 dollars. Also like close to natural as you can get, obviously have to use some things. Which is why we like the salt cell. We have looked at flipping frog, Remington ionizer and just trying to keep it in check constantly ourselves. Any thing that has worked for others or any suggestions?? Our pool stays pretty clear, level ph and alkalinity, low hardness a little and low chlorine due to cell not working again. Above ground pool, 10,000 gallons.

First and foremost, Welcome!

May I ask a few quick questions,
  1. How many cells have failed over what period of time?
  2. What all have you tried that they suggest?
  3. How large is your cell?

Want to try something besides chlorine and salt water generator. Seems like the salt water generators are cheaply made. We have done everything that all this and the local pool place, etc.. have said but the generators/cells fail. Mainly the cells but to replace cost 2 to 300 dollars. Also like close to natural as you can get, obviously have to use some things. Which is why we like the salt cell. We have looked at flipping frog, Remington ionizer and just trying to keep it in check constantly ourselves. Any thing that has worked for others or any suggestions?? Our pool stays pretty clear, level ph and alkalinity, low hardness a little and low chlorine due to cell not working again. Above ground pool, 10,000 gallons.
I'll tel you, the only thing we recommend here is chlorine. That is either via a SWCG or liquid chlorine generally.

You say your pool is low on chlorine, why not pour some bleach in there now to get it back up? Yes, the same stuff you use for laundry, pour it in the pool with the filter running. Be careful, it needs to be plain bleach, no scents, no EZ-Pour and none of the new Cloramax or laundry enhancing formulas.

Our pool stays pretty clear,
Our methods will keep your pool totally clear.

We base our pool care system on accurate testing and only adding what the pool needs, when it needs it. To do that we advocate that every pool owner buy and use an accurate test kit.

Please don't go to the pool store for a test kit. To effectively practice the TFPC methods, the FAS/DPD chlorine test is essential. The TF-100 Test Kit ™ has this test while very few other kits do. The kits sold at the pool store generally won't won't cut it, but be careful pool store employees are known to say “it's the same thing”. Generally it's not!

The only other real option for a test kit is a Taylor K-2006-C. Be careful comparing prices because the K-2006 comes in sizes, designated by a letter. The basic K-2006 has .75oz bottles. You need to get the K-2006-C to get the larger bottles that you want. Even then it is a little short on the reagent & powder

You have a homework reading assignment. Start with these:

So, welcome to TFP!!

Your drinking water that you bathe in regularly and presumably drink is sanitized with chlorine. The “natural” method of sanitation was used for thousands of years but resulted in many thousands of deaths from disease (before there was an understanding of disease and water sanitation). Very recently, there was a case of the “brain amoeba“ in a lake that is sanitized “naturally.“ Statistics indicate the victim is sadly very likely to die. Southern Iowa beach closed after infection of 'brain-eating amoeba' Naegleria fowleri confirmed

Nature is often cruel. Human technology can help make it less so. Step one is convince yourself that pool sanitation requires chlorine. Step two, decide how is best for you to manage the chlorine level in your pool (including possibly with a salt water generator) and so many experts here can help you with that. I totally get that you’re looking for an alternative to chlorine, but there just isn’t one. Again, the water you bathe in and drink every day is sanitized with chlorine. If there was a better alternative, it would be in your drinking water.

First and foremost, Welcome!

May I ask a few quick questions,
  1. How many cells have failed over what period of time?
  2. What all have you tried that they suggest?
  3. How large is your cell?
We have had 3 fail. One new one within one year. The very first one we had lasted a good while, it was an older one. After that we didn’t change anything we had done, Always went to the pool place in town, got the water tested, Put in what was needed. So when we had to buy new salt generator/cell it Worked for a while, we had kept doing the same thing as before. But it quit making chlorine. We would have a lot of salt but hardly any chlorine. Last one did the same thing, quit making chlorine, According to all the test results. I am not certain the exact size of cell but it is the same as the first one we had that worked for a 10,000 gallon pool.

What brand SWGs? Did they have scale build up and did you try acid cleaning them once they stopped producing?

Last edited:
Your problem is right there "pool store". As mentioned above test kits.....get one of the recommended ones and come back with all the test results then maybe we can guide you better as the pool store surly can't/ couldn't.

We have had 3 fail. One new one within one year. The very first one we had lasted a good while, it was an older one. After that we didn’t change anything we had done, Always went to the pool place in town, got the water tested, Put in what was needed. So when we had to buy new salt generator/cell it Worked for a while, we had kept doing the same thing as before. But it quit making chlorine. We would have a lot of salt but hardly any chlorine. Last one did the same thing, quit making chlorine, According to all the test results. I am not certain the exact size of cell but it is the same as the first one we had that worked for a 10,000 gallon pool.
It would be good if you mentioned a brand. Like all other pieces of equipment, a SWG needs some maintenance. You can't just install and walk away. A "lot of salt" could mean too much salt and they will stop producing.

Always went to the pool place in town, got the water tested, Put in what was needed.
As @wireform mentioned, this seems to be the root of the problem. More likely than not, the PS has given bad data (poor testing, no reliable methods) and made bad decisions based on that data, and then had you put in bad stuff in the pool. When that doesn't work (it won't), we rinse and repeat at the pool store. Bad water chemistry leads to bad things happening in the water. Too much salt, metals, PH or TA way off, you just don't know because we really cant be sure what the PS "testing" actually showed was happening in your pool. "It is clear" does not mean it is right.

I know you came here looking for an alternative to chlorine or a salt cell, you just won't find that here on this forum. There are not sections of dissenters here who believe in other science of pool care, this is quite unique on teaching, and helping others follow the TFP way of pool care. The system is quite easy, and the results are quite amazing.

We base our pool care system on accurate testing and only adding what the pool needs, when it needs it. To do that we advocate that every pool owner buy and use an accurate test kit.
This right there is the key to getting a handle on what is happening. Bad SWCGs are not common to fail, three cells in such a short time. Getting started down this path, and I bet we can all help you find out what was happening that may have lead to premature failures, and a very easy maintenance path going forward to enjoy a Trouble Free Pool!

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I'm really curious as to the size of the pool and size of SWG. Your SWG should be sized for at least 2x your pool so it's not running at 100% all the time. I've had two pools over the past 16 years with SWG's in them, and have never had to replace a cell on either.

As @wireform mentioned, this seems to be the root of the problem. More likely than not, the PS has given bad data (poor testing, no reliable methods) and made bad decisions based on that data, and then had you put in bad stuff in the pool. When that doesn't work (it won't), we rinse and repeat at the pool store. Bad water chemistry leads to bad things happening in the water. Too much salt, metals, PH or TA way off, you just don't know because we really cant be sure what the PS "testing" actually showed was happening in your pool. "It is clear" does not mean it is right.

I know you came here looking for an alternative to chlorine or a salt cell, you just won't find that here on this forum. There are not sections of dissenters here who believe in other science of pool care, this is quite unique on teaching, and helping others follow the TFP way of pool care. The system is quite easy, and the results are quite amazing.

This right there is the key to getting a handle on what is happening. Bad SWCGs are not common to fail, three cells in such a short time. Getting started down this path, and I bet we can all help you find out what was happening that may have lead to premature failures, and a very easy maintenance path going forward to enjoy a Trouble Free Pool!
We have had the above ground pool for 4 years. Before with the pool store always good, always accurate and pool was great. Now with new swcg it always shows too much salt and not enough chlorine leading us to believe the cell is not generating the salt to chlorine.

As someone else mentioned, you’re unlikely to find an alternative to chlorine sanitization in this forum. I know you’re looking for something more natural. (Incidentally when my wife tells me that one thing is “better” than another because it’s natural, I usually say, “Yea. So are radon, ultraviolet light, and rattle snake venom, but they can kill you.” Just my little jab that natural isn’t always better :) )

But if you post some detailed info about your equipment and some numbers, I bet the folks here can get to the root of your SWG issue. Simply saying a salt level is ok or some other level is low doesn’t give us much to go on.

Cheers!

I am new to having a pool but I did a lot of research before buying & setting up. I am by no means an expert but hopefully I can help. I have an Intex pool & bought the Intex SWG separately. During my research of the Intex SWG, users warned of the error codes & suggested that max saltwater at 2800ppm and not go over 3000ppm to avoid error codes despite what manual says. Are you getting error code 92 for too much salt? I am not sure what your saltwater level is but that could be setting your high salt code off.

While your SWG has an error code it will not generate chlorine…that is why you will have no chlorine despite having high salt. If your tests are showing saltwater over 2800ppm, the only way you can lower it is to drain some of the water & replace it.

If there is no error code, how often are you running the SWG? It took a bit for me to find run times that worked to keep my FC pretty consistent & adjust as needed when it is super hot (like now lol), or refills/rain etc. I have also added liquid chlorine if it drops low (like when I was trying to find run times) to help the SWG keep up.

But my SWG is new & has only been in use for 3 weeks so my attempts at help may be things you already know. So far (knock on wood lol), everything has been working great & following the troublefree method has made it easy to keep my pool crystal clear.

Hopefully the good people here can help you find a solution to your problem.

I am not sure how new your Intex SWG is, but if it is new you should have have a self-clean button. It reverses the polarity & cleans off the scaling every x hours run time you set it for (I believe the choices are 6, 10 or 14 hrs). I have watched it clean the scaling off when it reverses polarity.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.