Salt Water Generator Problems

ChrissyRa

Bronze Supporter
Jul 3, 2022
NY
I am hoping someone can help me figure out what is going on with my Pentair Intellichlor SG. (IC40) Last week my screen logic gave me an alert that said “clean salt cell”. I was surprised because it was cleaned at the end of last season and I just opened my pool in May. I had the salt cell cleaned by my pool guy but there was barely anything in there.

Then a week later another system alert popped up that said not communicating with salt cell. When I checked the SG all the green lights were on.

Then the next day salt level on screen logic read 9099 but still green lights on the SG

Yesterday all lights were all off on the SG. I rebooted the easy touch and that did nothing. Then I unplugged and plugged the power plug in. No change.

Then I noticed the Intellichlor circuit was in the off position on the top left easy touch panel. I flipped it back. Power came back to the SG and the lights were all green except for a blinking light for low salt (which it isn’t). But then white smoke started coming from the SG and there was a bad smell and the circuit flipped off automatically.

Can anyone tell me what is going on? One thought is that when the pool guy cleaned the SG with the acid and water and he leaned the SG in a bucket to soak. Did it maybe get wet and it short it out? However that was over a week between the time it was cleaned and the smoke. Plus before the cleaning there was a message having me clean the cell when it really had very little in it so I’m wondering if it was acting funny then?

Any thoughts about what is going on and next steps would be appreciated. A couple of questions:

1. I would have to replace the whole SG right? Is there some kind of separate control panel that may have been shorted? (I would hate to spend so much $$$ on the cell and that not be it)

2. If I have to replace the cell, do you recommend I replace the SG with the same IC40 or go to IC60?

3. Where would be reputable online or in store places to look for this that may offer discounted pricing? Amazon seems to be much more.

Thanks so much!
Christine

PS Im new here- should I also post this to the Pool Equipment forum? I wasnt sure where to post this.

C,

How old is the cell? There is a label on the bottom that has a S/N and date of mgf. Take a pic...

One of the first things that happens when a cell goes bad, is that the "Cell" light will flash even though the cell is clean.

Most cells last 5 to 7 years.

I am not sure what your pool guy did, but to clean a cell with MA, you put the MA inside the cell, where the water goes, you don't put the whole thing in a bucket of MA.

An IC40 in a 30K pool is on the small side. We always recommend a cell that is at least 2 X the volume of the pool.

Thanks,

Jim R.

Thanks Jim. I will check on the age of the cell but I think its over 7 years old. Sounds like I have to replace the cell. Looking on line some say "cell only" or "unit" Do you know what the difference is?

Would you have any recommendations as to where I can get one for a fair price?

Thanks again!

Marina Pool Spa in Denver Co has the IC40 in stock. I checked PolytecPools in Las Vegas and they do not have any in stock.

If you Become a TFP Supporter you should be able to get a discount at Marina. Need to call and speak to Margaret to get it.

C,

The IC40 needs a Power Center to work when initially installed. When the cell goes bad, all you need is a new cell, as the old power center should still be good. It is as simple as removing the bad cell and installing the new cell. Two, plumbing unions and one electrical connector.

Thanks,

Jim R.

C,

Not something that happens very often or that I remember at all.

Did you watch how the pool tech cleaned the cell?

From an electrical point of view, some component inside the cell failed or something shorted allowing more currently to flow than the circuits could handle. Exactly what happened would be impossible to know without internally looking at the cell.

Thanks,

Jim R.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Minor point. If you look at Jim's earlier comment, he suggested an IC40 might be a bit small for your 30k gallon pool. This might be the time to consider an IC-60.

C,

The real question is.. Was the bucket full of MA or was the MA just inside the cell where the water normally goes. I suspect latter, but I'm never shocked at what some tech's will do anymore. :mrgreen:

Thanks,

Jim R.

Sorry - one more question. Do you know why the SG started to smoke? What may have happened to the cell that would cause it to smoke and then emit a burning smell?

It happens sometimes.

You have about 6 to 7 amps and the electronics can fail, sometimes due to water intrusion.

Marina Pool Spa in Denver Co has the IC40 in stock. I checked PolytecPools in Las Vegas and they do not have any in stock.

If you Become a TFP Supporter you should be able to get a discount at Marina. Need to call and speak to Margaret to get it.
Good morning! Is the Marina pool store you mentioned at 7777 W Jewell Ave, Lakewood, CO? I dont see one listed for Denver. Thanks so much!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.