salt water chlorinator

I have the Techniclor and love it. It has made my Spa much easier to maintain, and I never worry about zero chlorine. I recently was gone for 10 days, came back to 4 PPM. Now that I have it, I will never be without it. And no, I have no interest in Technichor at all. I have 30 PPM CYA, 30 PPM Borates, Alkalinity at 50, PH at 7.4, and I basically add a ounce of Clorox after each soak.... If I don't use it, I don't touch it....Period. It maintains 2-4 PPM if I don't. EASY. I love it.

I'm looking to take the plunge and get a Technicolor 220 SWG for my spa. I have a few questions:
Can I hang the unit in the filter/skimmer box?
How do I know how much salt I will need to add, will it come with instructions/ chart?
My tub has an ozinator will I need to disable it?

Thanks for the help Jim

I have mine wired 220 into tub as well. It is not a hassle at all like I expected. I leave it in the bottom of tub and set in the filter compartment when I get in tub. You can run the wire to where it is not noticeable or in the way.

Runs at about 2000 PPM salt. All is instructions included, very easy. I think my tub of 395 gallons took around 5 pounds. I think my tub is at 2200 ppm, but try to keep at 2000 ppm.

I have an ozonator and it works with it just fine.

You will not regret getting the Tecnichlor..... I know I don't. Makes it very easy and you will get the "feel" for it with your tub quickly. I never worry about having zero sanitizer ever. On a setting of 2 - 3 it maintains a perfect 2-5 ppm. There are 10 settings. Right now I keep it on 3 with nightly use and add 1 ounce of 6% Clorox after each use. If I don't use I don't even check it and it is good to go.

I finally installed my Control-o-Matic Chlormaker (in-line) SWCG two weeks ago. As this is the in-line unit to be installed in the circulation plumbing, it was a bit of a job given the tight space in the equipment bay. I also like to keep things neat/factory looking and easy to service. I purchased some extra 3/4" thick wall vinyl tubing and 90-degree elbows.

I had to leave the tub unattended for much of the last two weeks, only able to check in on it after seven days, then left again for about four days. So far, so good!

I like that I can leave the tub for a week and feel confident there will be a chlorine residual at all times. The boost mode is handy for after soaking instead of manually adding bleach (which wasn't too much of a chore to begin with). The 2000 ppm salt further improves the feel of the water, in addition to the borates I had already added... no dry/wrinkled skin.

I'll post a more detailed review with a photo or two after I have more experience with the unit. I'm still deciding how I will mount the control head, as it is not as finished looking as the HotSpring control panel and has a rotary adjustment knob that sticks out. I might make a router template and inset it flush into the cabinet.

Has anyone heard just how long these technichlors last? It seems they don't have replaceable plates, so operating costs will be higher than similar units (with replaceable plates), right?

Mine is still going strong. The plates are replaceable on the in-line model I have, should that be necessary. I would call or email the manufacturer with any concerns. They were very helpful when I ordered my kit.

As an update, the Chlormaker has been great. It allows me to set it at a low level and take a vacation without worry. The only incident I had was when I accidentally twisted the knob to full output, as I had installed the remote control panel under the tub's toe kick area, where it is protected from the elements and relatively hidden, but well, toe-kickable. I didn't discover the problem until I wanted to use the tub a couple days later, and the Cl levels were up 30 ppm! I used some 3% hydrogen peroxide to reduce the Cl levels back down to normal. Suffice it to say, even with a chlorine generator, you need to adjust it according to your usage and regularly test to verify it is working as you intend.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.