Champaign, IL
Pool Size
Surface
Fiberglass
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Pentair Intellichlor IC-60
Hello everyone! I have read all the previous threads on AOP so I am somewhat scared to post this as I see that most of the people on this forum have strong feelings about AOP. I am asking this because I want to make the best informed decision possible.

My pool builder is pushing AOP (clear comfort) at only a slightly higher price than the salt water cell. He advises that I will only have to maintain a free chlorine of 0.5 to 1 ppm with a CYA of 15-30. Realistically I would probably want to maintain at least 1 ppm. This is the first pool I will have owned and while I am leaning towards a salt cell (pentair ic 40 or 60?) I was wondering how often you thought I would have to add liquid chlorine to the pool to maintain a 1 ppm of chlorine? They claim I will only have to check the water once a week. My pool will be FG with almost 20K gal with an auto cover. I live in the Midwest so it will be used hopefully May through October with our heater. He is advising an in-line chlorinator for hypo cal which comes with the pool quote (Will not receive a credit if we don’t use it) but we have very hard water here and so I would not want to do hypo Cal or the other chlorine tablets.

I am actually hoping that you guys think I would have to add several gallons of bleach several times a week because if that is the case it will make the decision easy!!

The possibility for damage to my pool equipment and decking is what is holding me back from jumping straight to salt and the lugging of 12 gallons of bleach is what keeps me from jumping to chlorine. I know the members on here say salt causes no damage compared to chlorine as long as you maintain your pool chemistry but the information is anecdotal and I do not see any real evidence to show that it does or doesn’t cause damage. If I am missing something please point me in the right direction!!!

Say NO to funky devices that aren't worth a dime and go with the salt water chlorinator. You'll be soooooo much better off. The pool will be healthier, you'll have less work to manage, and the water will feel smooth and silky from the salt.

How is it your pool builder knows some secret that he claims to work when thousands of pool owners come here looking to fix the problems those unconventional devices cause? Salt Water Generators have been in use since the 80's... pretty obvioius they work WELL.

I could address all the other details in your message but its all a waste of time. A Salt Water Pool is ideal and no ones ever shown examples of damage from salt.

Maddie :flower:

Mom,

As your long lost son, I recommend that you go with a saltwater pool... I have three of them... One is over 10 years old, one is over 7 years old, and the one at my house is about 6 years old.. All of them have IntelliFlo pumps that have been running 24/7 with zero failures of any kind, much less "saltwater" damage.. It is just total Bull Feathers...

I have seen no damage to any of my equipment or the decking.....

AOP and other similar system are all Magic but no Rabbit... :mrgreen:

Keep in mind that I am not trying to sell you something that I will be getting a commission, or bonus, for selling.. Can your pool builder say the same thing... I doubt it.. :(

Thanks,

Jim R.

The clear comfort’s lead statement calls it a supplementary disinfection system and that was my understanding of these types of systems. You must maintain your low FC level as well as the AOP system. Two systems - ooh. And maintaining 1ppm FC would be harder than 3 - 5ppm for a SWG.

I’ve had a SWG pool for years without issue and now with a brand new pool where I cant use the SWG for a month I’m chomping at the bit to get it going, lugging and measuring bleach is hard work.

Last edited:
I am a liquid chlorine pool owner right now and I do not find it terrible. That said, I am always considering how to do less and be confident my pool is sanitized properly. I read a lot on this forum and other info on AOP, UV systems and SWCGs. The UV only kills bacteria as the water passes through it. So what happens in that big pool when bird poop falls in it while you swimming? Maintaining 1ppm of FC does not give me any warmth that the pool is sanitary. Also, then you have to maintain this UV system, plus verify your FC levels. Why do both when you can do 1 and be done with it. AOP (advanced oxidation process) tries to improve upon a UV only system but still requires UV and Chlorine sanitization needs. In a Chlorine only pool (use of a SWCG or Liquid Chlorine), because chlorine is dispersed throughout all of the pool water, it combats organic matter immediately. This chlorine is directly available as the swimmers introduce these substances (sweat, dead skin, dirt, urine, etc.) when they are in the pool.
Clearly SWCGs in the past decade have greatly improved. In their early years they were very unreliable. I have not converted yet but I see having a AOP/UV system as doing more work and worrying that all is functioning and still checking FC levels regardless.

Edit - meant to add this that I found on one of the marketing FAQ list of a AOP UV OZONE system.
"Ozone will not usually eliminate algae at the concentration and contact times used in swimming pools as it only lasts in the water for a few seconds. An additional sanitizer needs to be added to the water to kill algae and provide protection when the ozone generator is off."

Last edited:
Reactions: Dogmom1
A lot of the sales and marketing material for the alternative systems is based on what is wrong or bad about existing systems rather than what is good or beneficial about the alternative system and this really annoys me. If aulternative systems can not market themselves based solely on their own benefits then they have no place in the market.

I’ve used and experimented with both ozone and UV systems on aquaria and aquaculture systems and would not have one on my pool. Ozone can be very dangerous and needs to be treated with caution. UV has issues with dose confidence. There is no effective way to monitor UV output and swap out bulbs only when needed.

I have an old UV-ozone system I took out when I put my SWG in 15 yrs ago.. you can have it. Its been sitting in the weeds behind my pool pad for years. That ought to tell what I think of its efficacy.. BTW 1ppm CL with one of those gizmos may be sufficient to kill bacteria, but I doubt it will keep algae at bay. So you may want to read up on the SLAM Process

Reactions: Dogmom1
I have had a SWG for 6 years now, no way I would even think about using something else.. If mine died today it would be replaced by tomorrow :) There are thousands of people who have come to TFP asking "why is my pool green, I have a "whatever snake oil system" and it is working...

Reactions: Newdude and Dogmom1

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I'm going to go against the grain here and suggest you talk directly with pool owners who actually have AOP/UV-Ozone sanitation along with trace chlorine. There is lots of evidence that a SWG isn't the holy grail that it's made out to be and there are indeed other great options that have benefits that a SWG doesn't provide. Check it out for yourself and make an informed decision. I have a new pool going in and am opting for the Paramount Clear P3 system. UV/Ozone Pool Owners Tips
Would love to talk to those with experience with both... but I have not come across many AOP users! I know a lot of people here have experience with UV and Ozone but haven’t seen AOP. I did call and had them order me an IC 40 or 60 and feel at peace.

Reactions: mguzzy and HermanTX
Would love to talk to those with experience with both... but I have not come across many AOP users! I know a lot of people here have experience with UV and Ozone but haven’t seen AOP. I did call and had them order me an IC 40 or 60 and feel at peace.
I just wanted to let you know that some of the comments on your thread were moved out as it was distracting from your question.

Contrary to what many believe, TFP does not exist to discuss ALL methods of pool care, but a singular method that has come to be known as Trouble Free Pool care. It involves accurate self testing of your pool water and only adding what the pool needs. We want pool owners to understand that "traditional" methods of pool care as taught by many pool stores are often adding things to your pool that you really don't need. From CYA in stabilized pool products to the UV and ozone in the "lower chlorine" methods we feel you don't want or need them.

Should you like to comment or follow that discussion, it is now here:

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.