Salt to chlorine conversion

ryang6

In The Industry
Mar 15, 2023
Florida
Customer’s salt cell is failing and does not want to repair. He asked that the pool be converted to standard chlorine. Can I just follow standard pool chemistry rules and ignore the salt cell and salt in the pool?

Yes. TFP recommends different CYA levels for liquid chlorine pools versus saltwater chlorine generator pools (FC/CYA Levels). The problem is that pools require a daily dose of chlorine equal to the daily loss. Before it died, the SWG was doing that job for you and the pool owner. Who's going to add liquid chlorine everyday? You might have this conversation with the homeowner and let him know that he will need to take care of this chore as you will not be able to do it.

Are you sure the SWG is failing? Many folks post here on Forum claiming their SWG is failing when, in actuality, algae is consuming chlorine faster than the SWG can produce it. Let us know if we can help you figure that out.

Reactions: Newdude
This is why I’m considering not having him as a customer. I’m going to present all options. I can use tabs to get through the week with liquid but cya will keep climbing and will have to drain periodically. He said previous maintenance tech kept dumping in salt to which I just smh.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.