raun

Oct 2, 2015
TX
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
My pool is 5 years old. I use tablets in the beginning of the year until my stabilizer is in range, then I shift to liquid chlorine. My water is from a well and very hard (1000ppm TDS on average). Between rain water collection over the winter and top off from the well, I'm able to keep my CA at around 500-600ppm on average.

I recently did a salt test and got back a result of about 2800ppm using "Aquacheck" test strips . I assume this is build up from years of Sodium Chloride use. I'm considering adding a salt generator because chlorine is getting very hard to find in bulk and all stores have limits. My local chemical supply house is on back order until August for chlorine.

Is there any reasons that a salt test would give an inaccurate result?

My pool is 5 years old. I use tablets in the beginning of the year until my stabilizer is in range, then I shift to liquid chlorine. My water is from a well and very hard (1000ppm TDS on average). Between rain water collection over the winter and top off from the well, I'm able to keep my CA at around 500-600ppm on average.

I recently did a salt test and got back a result of about 2800ppm using "Aquacheck" test strips . I assume this is build up from years of Sodium Chloride use. I'm considering adding a salt generator because chlorine is getting very hard to find in bulk and all stores have limits. My local chemical supply house is on back order until August for chlorine.

Test strips can have questionable reliability, but it’s possible that your salt level could be somewhere around there.

Before acting on the result, if you’re planning to go SWG I would invest in the Taylor K-1766 drop test kit for salt. It’s only around $30 but will give you accurate, repeatable results.

You can get it from tftestkits.net or Amazon, etc should have it as well.

We’ve had a SWCG since 2004 and have used those strips successfully for many years. They may not be the last word in accuracy, but they are good enough for the purpose at hand. I discovered the hard way there are possible interferences I’ve not seen mentioned here with the Taylor salt drop test that can give false high results. For example, apparently the use of metal sequestrants (I use Jack’s Magic Purple Stuff to prevent staining) may cause the Taylor salt drop test to give a false high reading.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.