Salt reading on Aquarite board different than Taylor test

edibower

LifeTime Supporter
Apr 29, 2013
Phoenix,AZ
Put in a Hayward Aquarite SWCG generator with TCELL 940 2 months ago. Its been producing chlorine and functioning fine. Wondering if anyone else has had the issue of the board reading of salt content being different from the Taylor salt test. The board reading has slowly been creeping up. It started out at 2900 ppm and currently the board shows a reading of 3500 ppm but the Taylor salt test currently shows 2800 ppm. I decided to have Leslies test it and they showed 3500 ppm (I know Leslies you dont go by but did as a comparison). Also did test strip and it showed 2800 ppm ( again I know worst test to do) but again did for comparison. Chlorine is 4.0, CYA 40, TA 60, CH 350, PH 7.4........the high salt light isn't on so no problem there. We do have a water softener that provides the fill water......I tested that soft water and it was 600 ppm, and then turned the softener off and water straight for the city was 400 ppm...just wondering

The manufacturer will push you to use acid. Acid removes some of the rare earth metals that makes the chlorine. If you must use acid, get cleaning vinegar. Do not use a mineral acid (muriatic acid) if at all possible.

The manufacturer will push you to use acid. Acid removes some of the rare earth metals that makes the chlorine. If you must use acid, get cleaning vinegar. Do not use a mineral acid (muriatic acid) if at all possible.
Quick question or two regarding vinegar.....first, my understanding is don't dilute it and second is it necessary to let it soak in the vinegar for a full 24 hours......thanks

If the scale is stubborn then use cleaning vinegar (6% acetic acid … available in Home Depot). It’s milder than Muriatic Acid and won’t damage the ruthenium surface. Highly concentrated mineral acids are not good for the transition metal catalysts.

No idea on how long. I have never had to use acid on my SWCG. Proper water chemistry insures that.

If the scale is stubborn then use cleaning vinegar (6% acetic acid … available in Home Depot). It’s milder than Muriatic Acid and won’t damage the ruthenium surface. Highly concentrated mineral acids are not good for the transition metal catalysts.

No idea on how long. I have never had to use acid on my SWCG. Proper water chemistry insures that.
Thanks for the info........I plan on staying on top of the pool chemistry so hopefully wont need to clean any deposits.......thanks again......

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.