Salt Pool - no Chlorine generation

Apr 28, 2015
herndon, va
Hi,

I have a salt cell pool - I'm not generating chlorine, so I'm shortly going to clean my salt cell (or replace it - it's over 5 years old), the main issue I have is that I've ruptured my Achillies Tendon, so am only just starting to be able to get down the stairs to do this..........

In the meantime, what should me my tactic to maintain Chlorine levels in the pool while the cell isn't generating? I'm a bit of a novice and have only every had the salt cell pool, so have never really needed to add Chlorine manually........

Chrlorine levels are really low - do I add shock once a week? Add Chlorine tablets?

I hope to have a new cell in the next few weeks, so just looking for a 2-3 week solution while the cell is out.

Any advice appreciated.

Rich

How are you testing your water chemistry? What is your CYA?

Use liquid chlorine / bleach. Added daily. Base it on the non-SWCG table in [FC/CYA][/FC/CYA]. Use Target Level for your CYA.

Use PoolMath to determine how much bleach / LC you will need each day. Test your FC each day and add enough bleach / LC to get your FC to target level.

Rich,

Just add Liquid chlorine... What did you do the last five years in the winter when salt cells do not work? If you run your pool the TFP way, you should never have to add weekly doses of pool store shock..

You should reread of pool school... Pool School - Pool School

Add liquid chlorine per this chart... [FC/CYA][/FC/CYA]

Thanks,

Jim R.

Rich,

Just add Liquid chlorine... What did you do the last five years in the winter when salt cells do not work? If you run your pool the TFP way, you should never have to add weekly doses of pool store shock..

You should reread of pool school... Pool School - Pool School

Add liquid chlorine per this chart... [FC/CYA][/FC/CYA]

Thanks,

Jim R.

CYA levels are very low - that's just from the test strips v a more accurate water test.

I have historically cleaned the cell when it looks like I'm not generating, but I think that's only happened once or twice - I didn't clean the cell last winter.

Seems like I need to get some liquid chlorine, add daily and get my free chlorine up to the required level.

Thanks!

- - - Updated - - -

One thing I don't understand - what is the difference between 'pool shock' (1lb bag of pool shock granules) and liquid chlorine? Isn't it the same thing?

Finally - can I raise my CYA levels BEFORE I add Chlorine, or do I need to get the Chlorine up first?

Thanks!

Pool 'shock' can be Cal Hypo, Dichlor, or liquid chlorine.

If you are convinced your CYA level is low, you could use Dichlor. Just be careful how much you use and record your CYA increase using PoolMath to know when you want to stop.

Do you have a proper test kit?

Pool 'shock' can be Cal Hypo, Dichlor, or liquid chlorine.

If you are convinced your CYA level is low, you could use Dichlor. Just be careful how much you use and record your CYA increase using PoolMath to know when you want to stop.

Do you have a proper test kit?

I don't - I have periodically taken my sample to a pool shop over the years for testing.

The paper strips are registering no chlorine or free chlorine (reading were good last month) and no CYA........

So the pool math calculator tells me to do the following (based on 15,000 gallon pool):

to get FC from 0.5-4 - add 11oz of 65% calc-hypo
to get CYA from 0-40 - add 80oz of granular stabilizer

So I'm going to add I packet of my pool shock (64% calc-hypo) and 4lbs (I need to buy more tomorrow to get up to 80oz) of my clorox stablizer

Sound right?

Oh, and buy a test kit.........

Sorry ---

Test Strips simply do not provide the accuracy and consistency you need. Because of this we do not make chemical recommendations based on them.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.