Tampa FL
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Hayward Aqua Rite Pro (T-15)
Hi I am running a Hayward salt cell system. Pool is 6 weeks old. According to Hayward diagnostics it is sitting at 3415 average salt. It was up at just over 3500 until Sunday when I decided to empty some water. It dropped nicely to 3415. It is producing loads of chlorine - I have it set at 9% and am maintaining approximately 5 FC average - I check it daily.

I just did the Taylor’s salt drop test and it gave me a reading of 3000 - I did the test twice. Todays test results are attached - I have been sticking with the Haywards reading as that’s the one I check every day.

Why the discrepancy and should I be worried?

Any advice gratefully received.

Attachments

• 2C74B0E2-83DC-45FD-8707-B492A8429673.png
    2C74B0E2-83DC-45FD-8707-B492A8429673.png
    297 KB · Views: 13
I don't think it's too unusual to see a difference between what your SWCG reports vs what you test with an independent test. I think the drop test you did is somewhat the gold standard - but differences of several hundred PPM aren't unusual. As long as your salt cell is happy and producing chlorine, I wouldn't worry about it too much, your actual salt level is likely somewhere in that 3000 - 3500 range and that's fine for your SWCG.

I've read before there can be discrepancy between the SWCG readout and drop test results and basically, as long as the SWCG is happy and producing chlorine then don't worry about the salt level too much.

For reference, my salt test with the Taylor drop test reads 3400ppm, while my rj-60 reads an average of 3000ppm. It's generating chlorine so I'm not going to worry about it.

Reactions: TeenaTeens
I've read before there can be discrepancy between the SWCG readout and drop test results and basically, as long as the SWCG is happy and producing chlorine then don't worry about the salt level too much.

For reference, my salt test with the Taylor drop test reads 3400ppm, while my rj-60 reads an average of 3000ppm. It's generating chlorine so I'm not going to worry about it.
Thanks - very helpful at setting my mind at ease. I will not worry.

I don't think it's too unusual to see a difference between what your SWCG reports vs what you test with an independent test. I think the drop test you did is somewhat the gold standard - but differences of several hundred PPM aren't unusual. As long as your salt cell is happy and producing chlorine, I wouldn't worry about it too much, your actual salt level is likely somewhere in that 3000 - 3500 range and that's fine for your SWCG.
Great stuff. Sets my mind at ease and I’ll continue doing what I’m doing as my water looks so beautiful. Appreciate the response.

You are putting too much trust on the SWG. Remember its a mathematical calculation from the amps the cell draws and water temperature, which can be affected by many variables.

You are putting too much trust on the SWG. Remember its a mathematical calculation from the amps the cell draws and water temperature, which can be affected by many variables.
Yes but the fact that’s it’s producing loads of chlorine should be my guide right?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Actually no. My SWG can produce chlorine equally from 2700-3800ppm. And every brand is different. Our general rule of thumb is that if your cell is producing chlorine, that means its happy with the salt level.
Ok. We are getting loads of rain. I’m having to empty water a few times a week this week and I’m gonna have to do it again today. I started with 3500 salt, emptied a bit and refilled it to get below 3400. It worked. But this week I’ve had to empty some water twice so far and I will have to do it again today. I am now at 3000. Should I start topping up the salt?

Should I start topping up the salt?
Depends on how quickly the storms blow across FL from the tropical depression. It would be good if you could wait just so you don't waste salt or any other chemicals due to additional water exchanging. With that much water exchange you might also need to adjust your CYA and CH as well. If the storms take longer than anticipated, you could add salt or just leave the SWG off for a day or so and use liquid chlorine.

But if you think you're in the clear from the heavy stuff, test and adjust everything.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.