Salt Generator readings

We have suspected that our cell on our salt water system is gone..... I want to make sure before I spend $300 on a new cell, here is my diagnostic readings from my panel....

1900 salt ( we stared at 1500 and we have added a total of 20, 40lbs bags and the reading is just now at 1900)

76 Temp

31.9 Voltage

0.00 amps on cell

100p salt output reading

-0 on instant salt

Its not even showing what cell I have, I can’t find a reading saying t- and the cell number anywhere.....

the redlight is on for low salt.... the green power button is on for power..... the green generating light will come on, but after a couple seconds it goes completely off

Re: Salt Generator readings

We have suspected that our cell on our salt water system is gone..... I want to make sure before I spend $300 on a new cell, here is my diagnostic readings from my panel....

1900 salt ( we stared at 1500 and we have added a total of 20, 40lbs bags and the reading is just now at 1900)

76 Temp

31.9 Voltage

0.00 amps on cell

100p salt output reading

-0 on instant salt

Its not even showing what cell I have, I can’t find a reading saying t- and the cell number anywhere.....

the redlight is on for low salt.... the green power button is on for power..... the green generating light will come on, but after a couple seconds it goes completely off

Moderator comment: Threads merged together

Move the switch to off. Wait 30 seconds. Move the switch to auto. Go to instant salt and watch what it does.

What are the first four of the serial number?

How many pounds have you added in total 20lbs or 20*40lbs? In order for the members to help you need to provide more information about your pool. Size, type pool (plaster, vinyl, fiberglass), equipment installed so the members can help. You can add this information in your signature.

Ok, it's a 5 year old T-5 cell. That's not bad for a T5 depending on the pool volume.

What model power box do you have?

What is the pool volume?

Have you verified the salinity with a good test kit?

The power box is an Aqua Trol.... my husband installed it, he works for the power company... so I know it was done right..... my pool volume is approximately 22,000 gallons.... it is a 30ft above ground vinyl pool..... I have no verified it with a salt water kit yet, but they are on the way....... after adding 20 bags of 40pound of salt...... I would think it would be a lot higher than 1900..... we started at 1500 level last Friday, we added 10 bags then and it went up to 1700, and we added 8 more Thursday..... went to 1800, added 2 more bags today and it went to 1900 just a little while ago..... but I don’t get why the green generating light comes on and then goes right back off

The generating light goes off because the salinity reading is too low.

If the cell is not scaled, it's probably time for a new cell. A bad cell will cause the salinity reading to be wrong.

The AquaTrol only takes a T-5. There are no settings for other cells.

Your salinity is going to be way too high. Verify the level and then do a series of partial drain and refills.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support

@OP, Taylor K-1766 test kit could have saved you time and money!

Assuming you have at least 2000 ppm of salt in your water, adding 800 lbs of salt will raise your salt level to 6350 ppm. That's about 50% drain and refill in order for the replacement cell to function.

After dumping 20, 40Pound bags of salt in our pool, and the salt water generator still reading 1900, we ordered a salt kit..... it says we have 5,000ppm of salt.... Now that we know our generator is messed up and we need a new cell (which I am ordering tomorrow) how to I bring the salt water levels back down? Is it going to hurt my pump or anything?

Wait... are you using strips or a test kit like the K-1766?

Re:  Salt Generator readings

Is that much salt going to hurt my pump?

No.

Always use a salt test kit prior to adding salt. The SWCG readout is never accurate and is typically the first thing to indicate a system failure.

Take care.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.