Salt Finish Concrete around the pool

DKTX79

Jan 29, 2021
Austin Texas
I am considering doing a salt finish concrete around the pool, vs just a broom finish. I am not interested in the cool coating or cool decking, and really just want a non coated concrete. One pool builder advised against salt finish as people can stub toes on the little holes left behind on the concrete? Anyone have experience with salt finish around pools? Any advice? We just like the look of salt finishes vs the look or regular broom finish decking and it isnt much more cost wise.

Salt finish concrete was very popular years ago and was installed on pool decks all over So. Cal. and I have never heard of a single incident of customers stubbing toes from the holes in the deck. I’m sure it depends on the size of the salt used but all the finishes I have seen we’re not that large enough for concern.

A pool or two ago I had salt finish. Unless you have toes like a raccoon I couldn't see how a toe could be stubbed. It was definitely cooler than a couple of other decks that I had walked on with exposed aggregate and the broom finish sidewalk to get to the backyard.

We did salt finish (real rock salt and hand tossed, not a stamp) on our sidewalks and an acid-etch finish on the concrete deck around the pool. The acid wash created a very nice micro-rough anti slip finish. The salt finish on the walkways is nice, but definitely more slippery when wet.

I was last year in the same boat as you as I wanted bare concrete but was not sure of the finish. I was a bit rushed in the selection and I went with broom finish even if some friends were saying that it would look to commercial. In the end it look real nice especially because of the decorative saw cut, I recommend you look into this. Also you may want to look for sand blast finish it is also quite nice and will expose the aggregate slightly depending of the level of sandblast you do.

Note that my broom finish is not perfect, unfortunately the concrete area is surrounded by building, trees and the concrete area was quite big (1650 sq ft) so they were not able to do single pass broom and in the same direction everywhere.

Before/after
Avant-Apres.jpg 87s.jpg

86s.jpg

I have salt finish on mine and as rstrouse mentions, you would have to have extremely tiny toes in order to stub your toe on any of the salt marks left behind. I like it, but it does heat up a good amount. It might keep your feet slightly cooler than a troweled or broom finish. I don't notice much because I'm busy floating with my tiki drinks. ;)

--Jeff

Our home has a salt finish on walkways, our old patio had it as well, squares alternating with exposed aggregate. 25 years old, and looked dated. No problems stubbing toes, but in our desert environment, sand would collect in the holes, and only vacuuming or power washing would clear it . We demoed that entire patio, and replaced it with fine pebble exposed aggregate. Much better look in my opinion.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.