Salt Cell running 100% 24hrs a day not producing enough FC

The three prongs look all corroded after I cleaned out the scale. At 100%, it didn't produce chlorine last night. Probably 0.5 to 1 in the span of 10 hours. I'm not getting any error codes on the panel. Is there a diagnostic feature that I can run on the panel?

How old is the cell?

What % do you run it at for how many hours/day?

I think a new cell and cord is in your future.

How old is the cell?

What % do you run it at for how many hours/day?

I think a new cell and cord is in your future.

Cell is three years old. Still running at 100% at 23h/day, I'm getting FC 5.5 reading from the sample I took from the return jet and FC 5.0 from the middle of the pool. FC 4.5 last night. We got 0.5" of rain last night, but I don't think it affected the water much.

Is 100% for 23 hours your normal run time for the past 3 years?

Cells last for 6000 to 10,000 hours. Running at 100% for around 300 days for 3 years is more then 10,000 hours of generation.

Replace the cell and cord.

Is 100% for 23 hours your normal run time for the past 3 years?

Cells last for 6000 to 10,000 hours. Running at 100% for around 300 days for 3 years is more then 10,000 hours of generation.

Replace the cell and cord.
Sorry, I was referring to the past couple of days. It's been running 30-40% 23hr/day 7 months per year, for the past three years.

Sorry, I was referring to the past couple of days. It's been running 30-40% 23hr/day 7 months per year, for the past three years.
That is over 6000 hours of generation time.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I think I have bought from them.

Replace the cord when you replace the cell.

Reactions: MacGeng
Most SWCG's either work, or they don't. So we always say be sure you are running it long enough at a high enough % generation, and check the pool for algae using Overnight Chlorine Loss Test. Also be sure the CYA is at a level high enough to protect the FC.

If run at 100% for 24 hours a day, will add 5.5 ppm FC, give or take, to your pool. Pool could be consuming 4 or 5 ppm FC per day right now.

OCLT pass with flying colors. CYA is at 70 and CC is 0.5
I've found that 60-70 CYA is very different than 80 CYA for my pool. I'm in full sun all day but it's amazing that the small difference of 70 to 80 and how much that impacts what SWCG generation I need to run.

You can try an overnight chlorine GAIN test - similar idea to OCLT. Test FC after sun down, test before sun up. That'll give you a good sense of FC gain over how many hours.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.