Salt Cell Issues?

RufusT

Apr 16, 2017
Choctaw, OK
I've owned my pool for three seasons - this will be fourth. The first two years, I had no issues with the SWG...

Last season, I could not get an accurate salt reading. I would manually reset the salt level on the Aquarite unit, but it would self correct after 24 hours...

So I cleaned the Salt Cell and replaced the Salt Sensor, hoping that would resolve it... It did not.

The salt reading would typically be 600+ ppm less than what I would get with my Taylor test kit.

Now, opening my pool, I am expecting a similar issue. So far, the delta is only around 200ppm. (tested twice).

A couple of questions:
1. Can the cell fail, without the "inspect cell" light coming on?
2. I know the cell can be installed any direction - but is there any impact/issue if it is installed upside down? I think I may have it upside down...

Thanks,
Rufus

Post the diagnostic readings from the display.

I have heard on some salt cells that mounting in the wrong orientation puts an air bubble around the sensor. I am not sure about the Hayward cell.

@JamesW does the cell orientation matter?

Thanks for the follow ups guys. I did more research and learned from the serial number that it was manufactured in 1/2012... I added salt to get to a diagnosed salt level of 3400. The unit has shown 3000 pretty consistently, sometimes moving to 2900, then back to 3000...

I decided to bite the bullet and ordered a new Hayward T-15 salt cell. I installed it about 20 minutes ago. Do I need to run the water through it, without having it generate salt, for any prescribed amount of time or is it ready to plug and play?

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.