Salt Cell Died - Best way to chlorinate while I wait for replacement?

Jun 17, 2013
Dallas, TX
My T-Cell died just a year into service. I'm waiting to hear back from Hayward on the warranty claim. I've been buying bottles of bleach to chlorinate in the mean time, but it's expensive and cumbersome on a 35,000 gal pool. Is there an easier/cheaper method while I wait for the replacement???

What is your CYA? You can use pucks for a while if you can take the CYA rise.

Liquid chlorine is the best way. If your CH is low you could use calcium hypochlorite until your CH rises into recommended levels.

I'm at 65 CYA, so I probably don't want to raise it anymore. I'll stick to bleach.

We've had ongoing issues with the salt system. The cells dying prematurely (it's a 35k gal pool and we have to run it a lot in Texas) and had to replace the thermistor in the AquaRite twice. Does anyone ever convert back to a traditional system? If so, what does that look like in terms of initial cost and ongoing maintenance compared to what I've been dealing with?

Your cell is undersized for your pool. Not sure that has any bearing on the thermistor, that seems to be an issue with that brand system.

You should have a cell rated for 60K gallons. That is the largest residential size SWCG available. I am not sure Hayward makes one though. Pentair, Circupool, etc do.

Most folks here with a SWCG would fill in their pool before they had a pool without a SWCG.

If you get a 60K rated cell you should be able to get to about 12 hours per day in the summer. Maybe a bit more in late June/early July.

Like Marty said, get a 60K cell system that you don;t have to run so hard. It should last longer. All cells have a finite amount of chlorine it can generate before dying.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Next question: Is upgrading from a T-Cell and Aquarite to a Pentair IC60 relatively straightforward?

Just a bit fo pluming and electrical work.

If you don't have an EasyTouch panel then you mount a small transformer box in place of your Aquarite control panel. Then a bit of PVC plumbing adjustments to fit the IC60 cell in place of the T-Cell. Once cable connects the transformer to the IC60.

Just a bit fo pluming and electrical work.

If you don't have an EasyTouch panel then you mount a small transformer box in place of your Aquarite control panel. Then a bit of PVC plumbing adjustments to fit the IC60 cell in place of the T-Cell. Once cable connects the transformer to the IC60.

I do have an EasyTouch. We did the EasyTouch upgrade kit a few years ago.

I do have an EasyTouch. We did the EasyTouch upgrade kit a few years ago.

Then you should get an IC60. Check if your ET system already has the Intellichlor transformer in your panel.

We've had ongoing issues with the salt system. The cells dying prematurely (it's a 35k gal pool and we have to run it a lot in Texas) and had to replace the thermistor in the AquaRite twice.

To cut down on your pump run time, you may want to supplement your SWG with liquid chlorine. You can get into a schedule of adding every other day, or twice a week, but you will burn more chlorine this way. Running the pump over a certain amount of hours is just wasting electricity. The savings on Kwh usage will make up for the difference in liquid chlorine by a long way. Today I shut off my cell after 3 hours just because it is cold, damp, wet and no one will be using the pool for a while.

How many hours are you running your pump? Also, was the repair covered under warranty? How long was the unit out for? Thanks!

Your panel looks different then what is shown here --> https://pentairpool.com/~/media/websites/pool/downloads/automation/manuals/easytouch_system_w_optional_intellichlor_electronic_chlorine_generator_installation_guide_english.pdf See page 13.

I suspect the transformer can be added to your panel. You are at the limits of my knowledge with your upgraded panel.

Here's what I upgraded with a few years ago:

https://www.amazon.com/Pentair-521247-EasyTouch-Upgraded-Transformer/dp/B004VU8RM8/ref=sr_1_1?s=lawn-garden&ie=UTF8&qid=1535753648&sr=1-1&keywords=compool

The transformer here is at the top of the panel.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.