Safety cover- is custom necessary?

Sep 20, 2019
Buffalo, NY
We're looking into buying a winter safety cover for our in ground vinyl pool (located outside Buffalo, NY). The pool is 20x44, including the roman ends (see attached pic). The custom quotes we've gotten are 4x as expensive as an off-the rack rectangular cover. Since we have ample concrete all around the pool for anchors, could we purchase a rectangular cover like this one from Home Depot, which measures 22x46?

The only sticking point is anchoring around the spillover jacuzzi, but we figured we could leave those two anchors off, or pull them tight around it. We'd cover the jacuzzi with a separate cover. We don't have pets or small children that would walk on it, so we're less concerned about the "safety" aspect and more concerned with the cover functioning this way over the winter.

Does this sound do-able? Are there bigger concerns I'm not considering?

Screen Shot 2021-08-25 at 2.55.59 PM.png

I see no issue at all with using the larger cover... It may leave some marks on your deck but who cares... Nothing a pressure washer cant fix in the spring.. :)

Reactions: FloatsAllDay330
Consider the weight of the snow and ice pack the cover needs to hold can be more then a person.

I described here how you anchor a cover to the wall of a spa…

Reactions: cowboycasey
Consider the weight of the snow and ice pack the cover needs to hold can be more then a person.

I'm dying over here- I sent my husband the screenshots from that thread in an email 15 minutes before you posted this! Thanks so much for the info!

Last edited:
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.