FC 32.5C
CC 0
Not testing cya right now because I'm pretty sure it could still be going up because of the tablets I'm scrubbing the walls with. It also will be going down now that I'm filling the pool.

I'll have to keep testing pH to keep CSI in check. My pH is always rising.

So something I never read on pool school that I have now learned is that even if you hire a professional you still need to follow up with their readings and actions.

FC 32.5C
CC 0
Not testing cya right now because I'm pretty sure it could still be going up because of the tablets I'm scrubbing the walls with. It also will be going down now that I'm filling the pool.

I'll have to keep testing pH to keep CSI in check. My pH is always rising.

So something I never read on pool school that I have now learned is that even if you hire a professional you still need to follow up with their readings and actions.
If you are using the phenol red test for ph don’t test/adjust it until fc falls to 10ppm or below. You can inadvertently overdose with acid as the ph test can read falsely high, more so at the elevated fc levels you’re currently at. If you’re currently exchanging water to reduce ch don’t be too concerned with csi at this time. Deal with the slam.

Reactions: frankos
Pool is full, New Results:
FC: 21 (DOWN 37% from 33.5)
CC: Forgot to do CC, but it's always been 0
pH: 7.5 (Yes, phenol red drops. But my pH is always climbing so, so far it still seems accurate to me.)
TA: 120 (UP 41% from 85. Clearly from the source water.)
CH: 525 (DOWN 16% from 650)
CYA: 45 (DOWN 18% from 55)
Salt: 2800 (DOWN 26% from 3800)
Borites: 10 (DOWN 60% from 25, this test is a strip and doesn't have many read points. I'm sure if I had a more accurate test, the readings were probably more something like 14 down from 22? putting it in the 20-30% reduction)

Based on Salt, which I don't expect in the source water, I changed 26%. That's pretty close to what my eyes saw visually.

Anyway, one other thing that was likely messing with my OCLT results was the SWG cell. I've turned it down to 0 now and will continue with my SLAM until I can pass all 3. FWIW, the algae situation seems to improved since I did my swim and scrub last night. I'm done with that though, it's just too much working holding my breath to do the deep parts. I'll keep brushing everyday and I have a Wall Whale with SS bristles on the way to help with the deep end.

Reactions: Mdragger88
Photos. Underwater camera did not really show the yellow/green patches very well. They are barely visible really. But to the naked eye they're quite easy to see. I'll stick the photos in Lightroom later to enhance the greens and yellows to make it appear more like it does to the naked eye.

In the meantime this first picture shows some calcium buildup on the floor in the shallows in an area beneath one of the returns. And like help with this but I I think it deserves his own thread in the proper forum.
P5310039.JPG

The next two photos show something interesting that I found sticking out of one wall. I can't quite tell if it's a piece of Rusty iron, perhaps rebar? Or is it some copper? I eat the grounding wire. I really do think it's a piece of rebar unless you guys know of some other kind of metal that attaches itself to the wall like this? I can't even fathom how to fix this it's about 4 ft down from the top of the water surface.
P5310005~2.JPG

And last photo shows a crack in one of the steps that you never dried up when I drained at the pool. Does this mean I have some sort of a leak?
20230531_130735~2.jpg

Last edited:
The vitamin C test (crushed vit c in a sock) will tell you if it’s iron. Even a little iron can cause staining in other places. How old is the pool finish?

The vitamin C test (crushed vit c in a sock) will tell you if it’s iron. Even a little iron can cause staining in other places. How old is the pool finish?
This is the 3rd full summer. I believe it finished up in fall 2020.

Do you mean I should Vit C the actual metal sticking out of the plaster? I was thinking of hitting it with a scratch pad of some sorts. With a mild abbraisive, it would shine up copper and likely reveal some steel if it s rebar.

This is the 3rd full summer. I believe it finished up in fall 2020.

Do you mean I should Vit C the actual metal sticking out of the plaster? I was thinking of hitting it with a scratch pad of some sorts. With a mild abbraisive, it would shine up copper and likely reveal some steel if it s rebar.
Vitamin c should remove the stain around it if it’s iron. If it were copper it would likely have no effect. Its a mistake in your finish/build & the builder should correct it although it may be difficult to get them to at this point. But it doesn’t hurt to reach out. It won’t go away without repair if it’s something sticking up through the finish.
Not sure about the wet spots/cracks - hopefully the plaster folks on here can guide you a little better on that soon.

Just want to update. We are making progress. The algae on the walls is down to a point where you wouldn't notice it unless looking for it. I've been keeping the FC around 20, but let it drop today for the party tonight... It tested at 14.5 after the party and I've added bleach and turned the chlorinator back on to get back up to 20. I got a metal brush with the whale tail so it's much easier to brush the walls down low in the deep end.

Also, I think I never did pass the OCLT because the chlorinator was on. I'll revisit that once I can no longer see any algae in the pool.

Thanks to everyone for keeping me on track and keeping me from dumping any unnecessary chemicals in the pool.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.