Safe CYA / Chlorine levels?

Kmeans

Jul 29, 2018
Windham, NH
Hi-

I have an above ground pool, just getting it opened. I’ve added CYA- level is now 28 .
Had Combined chlorine, so slammed pool- brought chlorine up to 15.

Today-
CYA - 28
Chlorine level today is 9
Chombined chlorine- 0
PH- 7.4

Can kids swim with chlorine or 9? (Not ideal level for my cya, but ok since under slam of 12?)

Would you add more CYA?

How often do you test chlorine- how often do you add it on to keep it at a good level?
I was doing 4 cups chlorine per night last year, and that was getting old!

Thanks!

Hi-

I have an above ground pool, just getting it opened. I’ve added CYA- level is now 28 .
Had Combined chlorine, so slammed pool- brought chlorine up to 15.

Today-
CYA - 28
Chlorine level today is 9
Chombined chlorine- 0
PH- 7.4

Can kids swim with chlorine or 9? (Not ideal level for my cya, but ok since under slam of 12?)

Would you add more CYA?

How often do you test chlorine- how often do you add it on to keep it at a good level?
I was doing 4 cups chlorine per night last year, and that was getting old!

Thanks!
Chlorine is lost every day so it needs to be added back every day. No way around it. Depending on how you tested your CYA level of 28, it’s safe to swim in th water. The issue is the Taylor test kit doesn’t measure well below 20 or above 100 so anything close to that is suspect. In addition, it’ll only measure in increments of 10ppm so a 28 is odd.

Reactions: Kmeans
How did you get a CYA reading of 28? How are you testing?
Use Taylor test kit- could still see black dot at 30- so took sample to pool store to see how far off I was- that’s where I got 28. Would you add more CYA?
Thanks!
Chlorine is lost every day so it needs to be added back every day. No way around it. Depending on how you tested your CYA level of 28, it’s safe to swim in th water. The issue is the Taylor test kit doesn’t measure well below 20 or above 100 so anything close to that is suspect. In addition, it’ll only measure in increments of 10ppm so a 28 is odd.
tested CYA with my Taylor kit - but I could still slightly see the black dot at 30!
I took sample to pool store- just to check CYA! Would you add more CYA? Thanks!

Use Taylor test kit- could still see black dot at 30- so took sample to pool store to see how far off I was- that’s where I got 28. Would you add more CYA?
Thanks!

tested CYA with my Taylor kit - but I could still slightly see the black dot at 30!
I took sample to pool store- just to check CYA! Would you add more CYA? Thanks!
I’d add enough to get it to 40ppm that way you can be sure it’s above 30ppm and chlorinate accordingly.

I thought I had to bring to shock level everytime the chlorine went down below the required range based on the CYA! I guess I misunderstood that!

CC 0.89 ppm

No other issues- pool is clear-
Make sure you reread what constitutes a SLAM. It’s not a shock it’s a SLAM. TFP methods are not the same as general pool care.
SLAM Process <— read and read it again. Took me a minute or two myself to make sure I understood what the end of a SLAM was.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Do I need to wait a certain amount of time after adding liquid cya to add Shock?
What “shock” are you adding? Hopefully just liquid chlorine per your CYA/FC relationship. I misspoke above. Yes, your CC needs to be .5 or lowe but you also have to pass an OCLT and your water needs to be clear. Those are the three criteria.

how'd you get .89CC when each drop wise is. 5?
I’m assuming pool store results but I didn’t go there.

On 2nd thought, if you have the means to test your CYA do not go to the pool store and “double check” your numbers. Your kit will be more accurate assuming all of your reagents are up to date. Trust yourself and your kit.

Last edited:
Major theme of TFP: Stay out of the pool store!!
Well, it’s a known fact they try to sell you a bunch of junk you don’t need which ends up screwing your pool up even more. The only benefit I think they offer now s testing of metals in your water…that’s it. Maybe some occasional pool trinkets but you can find brushes, hoses, poles, etc. on Amazon and elsewhere.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.