Bluffton, SC
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Pentair Intellichlor IC-20
Hey all, still a little ways out from starting our pool build and read about a sacrificial anode being a good option for salt pools. Any thoughts or product recommendations would be appreciated.

Hey Steve and Welcome !! It’s a useless thing that makes some folks feel better. Your salt pool will be roughly 10% of sea water content and only double what a normally chlorinated pool will have. So there’s really no need for it. My man @mguzzy likes to point out that your tears are roughly double the salt content of your pool so don’t cry over your equipment. (Some of us do when we see the bill for it all 🤣)

I always say it’s way cheaper than going to the Dr if you need to sleep better. In the grand scheme of things, if it’s the only thing you overspend on that you didn’t need, You’re still sitting pretty.

Look at modern pool equipment and see what the sacrificial anode would be protecting. Likely nothing.

Reactions: Mdragger88
Look at modern pool equipment and see what the sacrificial anode would be protecting. Likely nothing.
Thank you all for the input, I just wasn't sure if it would do anything to prolong the life expectancy of any of the equipment. Seems like the answer to that would be no.

I got mixed reviews when researching for my pool build as well. I put one in anyway, they are not expensive and I sleep better knowing I did it. I have a friend that had a salt water liner pool with the white aluminum coping. After about 6 years he had to have his coping replaced because it was deteriorating and he did not have a sacrificial anode. I am not saying it would have prevented it...but we will never know. He was pretty good at keeping the water balanced.

I settled on this one. Amazon.com: Pool Tool 104D Inline Zinc Anode - 2": Garden & Outdoor

Cheap insurance for my peace of mind.

Reactions: AviatorBimmer
I got mixed reviews when researching for my pool build as well. I put one in anyway, they are not expensive and I sleep better knowing I did it. I have a friend that had a salt water liner pool with the white aluminum coping. After about 6 years he had to have his coping replaced because it was deteriorating and he did not have a sacrificial anode. I am not saying it would have prevented it...but we will never know. He was pretty good at keeping the water balanced.

I settled on this one. Amazon.com: Pool Tool 104D Inline Zinc Anode - 2": Garden & Outdoor

Cheap insurance for my peace of mind.
Thank you, that is actually the one I was considering.

Thank you, that is actually the one I was considering.

If you end up getting this one...when you install it, it needs to be horizontal so you don't have to bleed the air out of it every time you turn your pump off/on.

Here is how I mounted mine and it never gets air in it.
20201020_075439(1).jpg

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.