S200 swivel cord, not really

djw

Gold Supporter
Apr 17, 2010
Colleyville, TX
My S200 has a swivel on the cord that does not appear to be doing its job very well. I get nicely knotted after a while. They claim "tangle-free", on mine it is anything but.

When I manually twist the swivel is seems to have significant resistance to turning. Pushing it in a bit sort of loosens it up but after a while we are back as above.

Is there any maintenance that can be done to make this swivel function more functional? The cleaner is just over a year old.

djw,

How many times do you run it before letting the cord lay out straight on your deck for a couple of hours in the sun?

How do you store the cable when not in use?

Do you put all of the cable in the water, or just what the cleaner needs to get the job done?

All the ones that I have used are not "tangle-free" forever.. :mrgreen:

I guess my point is.. I doubt your swivel is bad, it is just how they work.

Thanks,

Jim R.

Jim,

I'm just noting that the swivel doesn't swivel (which I don't think is more involved than that), unless I put some pressure towards the center while turning.

I am not currently seeing how that's related to the style of operation, however mine lives mostly in the water and the swivel is very near the robot - it would not be outside the pool unless I had a blow-up 3-ringer :) The vast majority of the cord is always in the pool as it's on the big/long side.

I thought about working some magic lube in there but seeing as I have never disassembled a swivel to look inside, can't say whether that is a bright move or not.

How long have you had the S200? Might be worth seeing Maytronics can send you a new cord. I have the M500 with the swivel, I think all of their swivels are the same. I have no problem rolling/twisting/whatever the cord and the swivel moves just fine for me. No effort at all really to get the cable to turn in it.

How long have you had the S200? Might be worth seeing Maytronics can send you a new cord. I have the M500 with the swivel, I think all of their swivels are the same. I have no problem rolling/twisting/whatever the cord and the swivel moves just fine for me. No effort at all really to get the cable to turn in it.

I looked back and coincidentally I purchased it from Marina one year ago today. Other than the swivel, I could not be happer with it's performance right now.

I am not currently seeing how that's related to the style of operation,

djw,

Sorry if my questions came across wrong... I just know from my experience that my swivels don't swivel all that much.. I have two Dolphins in rent house pools, they never comes out of the water, run each day, both have swivels, and by the end of the week the cords will be twisted.. so, it just sounds "normal" to me..

Thanks,

Jim R.

Sorry if my questions came across wrong... I just know from my experience that my swivels don't swivel all that much.. I have two Dolphins in rent house pools, they never comes out of the water, run each day, both have swivels, and by the end of the week the cords will be twisted.. so, it just sounds "normal" to me..

Thanks,

Jim R.

pretty much my mode of operation: never comes out of the water, run each day, have swivel, and by the end of the week cord will be twisted

Bottom line is either the swivel doesn't do much or is ineffective... assuming it is working or swivels as required.

So I lay it out and un-twist it only to repeat the process next week, puzzling if the swivel is inoperative or just doesn't work as advertised to keep the cord from twisting... the advertised "Tangle-free swivel allows the S200 to move with ease" just basically aspirational behavior (i.e. baloney).

:)

It twists just about like my prior Hayward TigerShark - and it had no swivel at all to tangle it's cord.

djw,

Maybe your swivel is bad??? I had two old Dolphin diagnostics and they also lived in the water. They had no swivel and they tangled a lot more than my new ones with the swivels do.. I'd say it reduces the tangle about 60%.. But that is not zero..

Just goes to prove that most marketing talk is just talk, with just a slight bit of truth added to keep from being sued.. :mrgreen:

Thanks,

Jim R.

I thought about working some magic lube in there but seeing as I have never disassembled a swivel to look inside, can't say whether that is a bright move or not.
I have done it and its a very good. idea, on. mine there was water inside it. Cleaned it all up. and added a ton of poollube to the bottom part were the cord exits so it seals it up good. I will. make. it a habit of checking every month or. so. Also. 24/7 in the water.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.