Rx Clear Filter Balls

Drew80

Feb 26, 2013
Austin, TX
I have regretted every minute of owning a cartridge filter. Pulling it apart to clean the cartridges is a total pain, they never really get clean, etc etc. Curious if anyone has used the Rx Clear filter balls (or another brand) and whether they work. They claim to be able to replace sand, and I assume they would be able to do the same with a cartridge. They also claim that you can take them out, wash them in a machine, and put them back in. I'm hopeful but skeptical.

Anyone tried them and had a good experience?

Drew,

I don't have any experience with the filter media you're asking about but I can call in some help from a cartridge filter expert @Texas Splash. I would also ask what is causing the problem? I've had my cartridge filter and it's been a breeze for the past 6 years. How often are you cleaning and what method are you using.

I hope we can help.

Chris

Drew,

Wow.. how often do you have to clean your filter???

I clean my filter twice a year, but could go a whole year if I wanted.. Something does not "smell" right... :mrgreen:

I just pop it open and spray off the cartridges and put it back together. The color of the cartridges makes zero difference in how well they filter.

I do use hairnets in the skimmers..

Thanks,

Jim R.

Drew, I've never tried those Rx balls mostly in-part because I don't have a sand filter. But if I did have sand, I wouldn't use anything else. It's proven tried & true for decades. As for our filter cartridges, they work quite well IMO, and I only have a single cart. It does stain and look kind of grey around the pleats, but that doesn't take away from it's filtering abilities. I think I've beat-up my single cart for about 2-3 years now. Just about time to order a new one, but the TFP water quality is never in question. I wonder if there's not some other underlying issue?

I have a LOT of trees and they produce all kinds of fun stuff that gets trapped in the skimmer or the pump basket or the filter. I empty the skimmer about every other day and the pump basket about twice a month. I clean the cartridges every 4-6 weeks during the spring and fall and about once every other month during the summer. About 6 times a year on average.

I had a sand filter in a previous home. I didn't realize how good I had it by being able to backwash.

Drew,

Sounds like you really have a challenging debris problem. The only additional think I have to offer is just be sure your filter pressure is increasing by 25% before you clean it. You may be cleaning it way too often. Like Jim I clean mine 2x per year could probably do it onece per year. You certainly have a lot of debris but you shouldn't determine when to clean the filter just because of appearance or the fact that other "traps" are full.

Good luck!

Chris

Drew,

I assume that you have a single speed 2 HP pump which is a huge pump on a small pool... Your filter pressure starts at 30...???

I have a VS pump that I run at about 1200 RPM and my filter pressure is 1 or 2 lbs... That is a lot of difference.

Thanks,

Jim R.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Drew,

Hairnets are cheaper and you just throw them away... :mrgreen:

I have two sets of skimmer baskets.. I keep a set with hairnets ready to go... When I clean the skimmers, I just go out and remove the dirty basket and install the clean basket.. Then I pull out the dirty hairnets from the dirty baskets and throw them away. I then put new hairnets on them and put them on the ready to go shelf. Takes five minutes only because I use a little fish net to skim out any floating stuff in the skimmers before I remove the dirty basket..

Thanks,

Jim R.

Reactions: steve1staf
Drew,

As Jim indicates that's a huge pump. I've pasted in the pump curve below (model #SP2330EE). After cleaning with 30 psi discharge the flow is 120 gpm! Scale on the "y" axis is ft of water head (66' is about 30 psi). Way too high for the pool but probably just right for the jets in your fairly large spa. This does explain why the filter size is rather large at 300 sq ft. It has a design flow rate of 122 gpm required for the spa not the pool. The design saves a pump at a huge compromise on everything else. The problem is the pump not the filter. I guess you might be able to add a separate pool pump with much lower flow to run the pool but even if you diy it this would be over $500. Another much cheaper possibility would be to change the motor only to a 2-speed. Depending on your power cost, it might actually pay for itself!

I don't know if this analysis solves your pool issue but it may help to understand it a little better.

Chris

Drew,

We have done extensive testing on filter balls and alternative products. If you currently have a cartridge tank, you cannot add the filter balls as a cartridge replacement, you would have to purchase a sand tank and use the Filter Balls as the filtration medium.

If you have any questions, please feel free to reach out.

Thanks,
Jeff

Reactions: Texas Splash
On your high flow Pump, would it be possible to put in a recirc line so you could keep the pump running full speed, but reduce your system flow by sending the majority of the discharge flow back to the pump suction?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.