Sheltont

Feb 1, 2021
Cartersville, GA
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
I’m a new pool owner and need some help. Every joint on my steel coping around my 20x40 vinyl pool is rusted out like this. Can this be repaired or would replacement be the only option? I have a concrete deck. If replacement is the only option, why would I have to replace the entire deck? Wouldn’t they just be able to cut a section out to replace and fill back in? Any help is greatly appreciated!

Attachments

• 1E041F38-5D67-458E-96AE-FD8F82E49CED.jpeg
    1E041F38-5D67-458E-96AE-FD8F82E49CED.jpeg
    747.7 KB · Views: 100
  • D471CCC0-5099-4074-A3E1-192959CA1F46.jpeg
    D471CCC0-5099-4074-A3E1-192959CA1F46.jpeg
    565.8 KB · Views: 101
Hi and welcome to TFP. Sorry to be meeting like this though.

That amount of rust does not look like it can be repaired. I think if you tried sanding it you would have holes were the rust had gone all the way through :(

So I am not 100% sure what I am seeing from these pics. That one I can't see the pool edge and the other one shows some of the pool edge. Can you back up a bit so we can have an over all look at how the pool is built as well as how the deck is done.

Is this an in ground pool? Vinyl? If you would fill out your signature that would be helpful for us moving forward. THANKS!

I wonder if you could grind out some of the rust, fill with mastic like sikaflex and then coat the metal with Por 15 in white... it would need a topcoat of white or use a plastic spray paint once it was fixed with Por 15..

this stuff lasted on a painted PVC pipe for 5 years in my pool connected to a return with no issues.. it needed touched up after year 5 :)

Reactions: Sheltont
It depends on how the deck was poured but it looks like you could remove the coping pavers and make the needed repairs. I would try Cowboy Casey's method first. Is your liner in good shape?

I wonder if you could grind out some of the rust, fill with mastic like sikaflex and then coat the metal with Por 15 in white... it would need a topcoat of white or use a plastic spray paint once it was fixed with Por 15..

this stuff lasted on a painted PVC pipe for 5 years in my pool connected to a return with no issues.. it needed touched up after year 5 :)
Thanks so much!!! This definitely sounds like something my husband could do. The rest of my coping is in great shape, it’s only on the joints, so I don’t want to spend $30k to replace the entire deck. One other question... do you by chance know how to cover the joints when the work you noted above is done? Unfortunately most of the covers have broken off.

It depends on how the deck was poured but it looks like you could remove the coping pavers and make the needed repairs. I would try Cowboy Casey's method first. Is your liner in good shape?
I did remove one coping paver, and it’s concrete underneath. We are replacing the liner in the next few weeks and wanted all of this fixed prior, and hopefully without tearing the whole deck up.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
How do you know that every joint has rust. Before you go ahead with liner know what you're up against. I'm just thinking if this can somehow be patched. Like cut the rust out to stop the damage, treat the freshly cut metal against new rusting and perhaps a stiff patch to encapsulate the old site. Maybe even have someone with good welding technique put a new sheet metal patch and then prep it accordingly.

How do you know that every joint has rust. Before you go ahead with liner know what you're up against. I'm just thinking if this can somehow be patched. Like cut the rust out to stop the damage, treat the freshly cut metal against new rusting and perhaps a stiff patch to encapsulate the old site. Maybe even have someone with good welding technique put a new sheet metal patch and then prep it accordingly.
A few of the clips have broken off, and the others show rust around clip. Otherwise coping is in great condition.

I’m 100% agreeable that grinding and welding *could* be done, but I’m 50/50 as to if it *should* be done so close to a vinyl liner and pool. Even if the grinder sparks don’t melt any holes they will shotgun spray the pool with tiny rusted metal pieces.

I’m 100% agreeable that grinding and welding *could* be done, but I’m 50/50 as to if it *should* be done so close to a vinyl liner and pool. Even if the grinder sparks don’t melt any holes they will shotgun spray the pool with tiny rusted metal pieces.
We will be replacing the liner after we figure out the best way to repair the joints.

We will be replacing the liner after we figure out the best way to repair the joints
Yes. If the liner melts or catches fire, a few thousand gallons might be lost causing wall/floor issues also. :)

but I now see the moot point about worrying about the rust in the water. (y)

Yes. If the liner melts or catches fire, a few thousand gallons might be lost causing wall/floor issues also. :)

but I now see the moot point about worrying about the rust in the water. (y)
Oh, I gotcha. That would not be good! We’re just trying to save ourself $30k replacing the entire deck, when the rest of the coping is in good shape.

Reactions: Newdude

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.