Rust Iron Stains coming through tile/grout

Switched

Dec 25, 2019
Adelaide
Where my spa wall meets the pool wall, there is brown rust stains which i assume is rust from reobar. I posted on a facebook site and got a good suggestion but looking more feedback before I start fixing. See photo.

I'm in Australia so the suggestions were products supplied with AU. Suggestion was to remove the tiles around damaged spot, dig into masonry, and seal the leach area with FERROPRE epoxy. Suggestion was to also use a product called GALMET on the ipacted reo before the epoxy. Once all done, use a pool tile glue to put tiles back.

Whilst doing the repair I will need to drain water a little. How do I keep the pump running for a few days whilst the levels are low, can I simply connect my skimmer plate and hose and feed the hose from the pool if my water line is lower than skimmer box (allowing the pump to keep recirculating)?

Any help with the repair would be most appreciated.

Attachments

• IMG_2949.jpg
    IMG_2949.jpg
    412.2 KB · Views: 29
If all you have is a skimmer (no drain), you'll have to improvise to keep the pump primed. If you run a hose from the skimmer plate and can still maintain good suction without pulling air, that will work. Otherwise, you could disconnect the pipe at the pump and run a hose directly to the pool like a long straw and bypass the skimmer altogether. A final thought would be to increase your FC to SLAM level (see FC/CYA Levels) and let it ride un-circulating for 2-3 days. You're approaching cooler weather soon no? Water temp still above 70 degrees over there?

As for the method to repair the suspected rust/rebar area, that's a bit outside my zone. But @bdavis466 can probably help.

Hi All - Thanks for the comments. Yes I have a drain in the SPA and in the POOL., there is no option for skimmer, but suspect its always pulling water? I currently have the valve set to pull from the pool, and on the weekend put in my new skimmer plate and definitely it was pulling from the skimmer so unsure if I can actually turn the skimmer off?
Does this mean water can be below the skimmer in my setup?

If all you have is a skimmer (no drain), you'll have to improvise to keep the pump primed. If you run a hose from the skimmer plate and can still maintain good suction without pulling air, that will work. Otherwise, you could disconnect the pipe at the pump and run a hose directly to the pool like a long straw and bypass the skimmer altogether. A final thought would be to increase your FC to SLAM level (see FC/CYA Levels) and let it ride un-circulating for 2-3 days. You're approaching cooler weather soon no? Water temp still above 70 degrees over there?

As for the method to repair the suspected rust/rebar area, that's a bit outside my zone. But @bdavis466 can probably help.
My water is around 80 Fahrenheit (converted from C). I was thinking it might be best to repair this once Im in winter?

HI Pat, If I go to SLAM level, whats the normal process to reduce FC? Just stop the SWG and keep the cover off?

If I go to SLAM level, whats the normal process to reduce FC? Just stop the SWG and keep the cover off?
The FC will slowly go down on its own. You can turn off or reduce the SWG output at that time if you like as well.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.