Running the vs pump 24/7

moore887

Gold Supporter
Silver Supporter
Bronze Supporter
In The Industry
Aug 14, 2018
CAPE CORAL
I'm at 1100 rpm. I can tell you that filter gauge is never going to rise above 0. No flow stays on my heater unless I go north of 2200 rpm as and my water looks great. Swg is at 30%

Some would say the 24/7 is overkill especially if I have to double to speed to please the heater. My argument would be that I need to have 24/7 then because I am using my heat pump to prevent heat loss at night (with help from solar cover).

Should I just run it 8 hours a day at a higher speed and don't worry about the night heat loss?

Maybe without the need for heat 1100 rpm for 8 hours at 60% swg would suffice and save on the salt cell life?

What say my comrades?

I run my pump 24/7 because I personally like generating a little chlorine all the time and I like skimming all the time. Is it needed? Absolutely not.... Do I care? Absolutely not.. :)

As far at the salt cell goes it does not matter.. Running the cell for 1 hour at 100% uses up the same amount of chlorine generating capability as running for 10 hours at 10%

My point of view is that as long as you run long enough to skim and generate the chlorine you need, that is how long you must run your pump. Running longer than that is just a personal choice... I can't see where it hurts anything.

Thanks,

Jim R.

with a solar cover you lose a few degrees at best overnight. I would look to see if you have variable electric rates and run the pump 12hrs or so utilizing that peak/off peak pricing if you have it. nothing wrong with running 24/7 I just personally would hate to do it Im cheap

I’m cheap too but $10 a month isn’t even noticeable on my $500 average monthly electric bill for the summer. So we let it run 24/7 cuz we like the look.

I run my VS 24/7. Prior to getting the VS I had a single speed Century pump (from the last century) that I had to run 24/7 because it would not reliably prime after it was turned off. THAT was a an electric bill. My current bill is much, much cheaper.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.