Running pump 24/7 with D.E. filter (Pentair FNS Plus 48sqft)

lafonte98

Bronze Supporter
May 3, 2016
Collinsville, IL
Hello,

I recently had my pool opened by my local pool company (the ones who installed it). They originally told me to run the pump for 23 hours a day and have it shut off for one hour. Since joining this forum, I was informed that makes no sense to stop it for only an hour after running for 23 hours. It would make more sense to have it run for 8 hours or so then be off for some time and come back on later. When I told the pool guy that I run my pump 24/7, he stated the D.E. filter (Pentair FNS Plus 48) needs that hour off for all of the debris to drop off of the filters or they will get over packed. I said, well doesn't all the debris just come right back to the filter once the pump comes back on? He really did not have an answer to that other than that is what they recommend and is how they set up all their pools.

I ran my pump 24/7 last year and had zero issues at 1800 rpm.

Thoughts/advice?

Thanks for your time,

Greg

Pump run time is based on first, how long you need to run the pump to create the chlorine the pool needs each day. Next is the time it takes to skim your pool surface to your satisfaction. That is it.

With your size pool it appears your SWCG would need to run about 12 hours each day with the SWCG at 100% to create the chlorine (during swim season). So start there. Or run the pump and SWCG for 24 hours a day with the SWCG set at a lower %.

You can also check your pump rpm needs. Adjust it down by 100 rpm until your SWCG flow light goes red. Then raise it by 100 rpm. Then see if that skims the pool sufficiently. I suspect you can run the pump at 1200 rpm or so.

Reactions: lafonte98

Your pool guys is totally full of Bull Stuff...

I have two rent houses with DE filters.. They run 24/7, most of the time at 1200 RPM.. I no longer even back wash my DE filters, and just clean them every six months.. The filter pressure is 5 lbs or less...

Every pool is different of course, but running 23 hours a day just does not make any sense to me.

Thanks,

Jim R.

Reactions: lafonte98

Your pool guys is totally full of Bull Stuff...

I have two rent houses with DE filters.. They run 24/7, most of the time at 1200 RPM.. I no longer even back wash my DE filters, and just clean them every six months.. The filter pressure is 5 lbs or less...

Every pool is different of course, but running 23 hours a day just does not make any sense to me.

Thanks,

Jim R.

Jim,

Do you prefer a certain brand of D.E.? Previously I used Celatom but this year I bought from Dicalite.

I just use whatever they have at Home Depot or Lowes... DE is basically DE..

Not sure how you do it, but I find that filling a five gallon bucket with all the dry DE the filter needs, and then filling the bucket with water, and then stirring up into a slurry, is the best way to add the DE to the skimmer. I used to try to add dry DE to the Skimmer and that was a mess... :oops:

Thanks,

Jim R.

I just use whatever they have at Home Depot or Lowes... DE is basically DE..

Not sure how you do it, but I find that filling a five gallon bucket with all the dry DE the filter needs, and then filling the bucket with water, and then stirring up into a slurry, is the best way to add the DE to the skimmer. I used to try to add dry DE to the Skimmer and that was a mess... :oops:

Thanks,

Jim R.

Jim,

Thanks for the information. I add D.E. using the 5 gallon bucket method. :)

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.