Running in filter mode causes air in pump

smite

Gold Supporter
Aug 27, 2018
Chapel Hill
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
All equipment is Pentair.

Pump is part number 177475-20 and is 1 1/2 hp.
The filter is a ta 60d
The valve is 272562

This is my 2nd year and we just opened up and it seems that the pump ends up having air visible above the filter basket while running in filter mode. This doesn't seem to happen in recirculate mode on the vlave but does every time in filter mode. I also noticed that priming for the first time took a really long time even after filling it with water several times.

It took about 7 minutes after several times. One of the pool people I spoke to previously said our pump prime very slow because the pad is above the pool and the water has to travel uphill. They also suggested that check valves installed would help but figured I would double check with the community first. My main goal is to get the air in the pump resolved first.

Switching between recirculate to filter or filter to backflush for example doesn't lose prime if I make the switch between valve settings quickly. Steps are turn off pump, make the mode switch quickly without letting the pump lose prime.

Last year this was a little bit of an issue but seemed to not be as bad as it is now. Additionally, as the season continued priming was not an issue at all. Additionally my pressure gauge seems to be stuck and not moving at all. I tried taking off the cover and it doesn't move at all. Its probably the original cheap plastic one that came with the valve. There is not water leaking from it, it just seems dead. Could this be the issue or is it really just an unrelated symptom? I would also appreciate tips on the best place for getting a replacement.

I checked the condition of the o ring on the pump basket cover and its clean and well lubed with a good seal. I also verified that the pump plugs are in tightly.

I don't believe I have an air leak between the pool and the pump/filter as recirculate mode it runs for hours without any air leak.

Could the issue be the spider gasket in the valve? Or a need to do a deep clean on the sand filter?

I noticed what could be a a very small drip leak that runs down the side of the pump coming from a fitting on top of the pump going to the filter. It is super tight and I cannot make it any tighter so I am not sure if that is really a leak or just a minor remnant drip from other water that I spilled around the system.

Thanks for any help.

Picture with notations attached

Attachments

• 20180909_113307.jpg
    20180909_113307.jpg
    143.5 KB · Views: 7
Last edited:
Update. After swapping between filter and recirculate mode and running in recirculate mode the pump was again filling with air. Should I be worried about a bad pump?

Attached are some better pictures.

Attachments

• 20210517_100719.jpg
    20210517_100719.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 5
  • 20210517_100653.jpg
    20210517_100653.jpg
    219 KB · Views: 5
  • 20210517_100614.jpg
    20210517_100614.jpg
    355.5 KB · Views: 5
Last edited:
Any leaks in a pump on the suction side can get air into the system.. why exactly it does not happen when in recirculate I have no idea...

The leak on the pressure side will not introduce air into the pump basket..

If these 2 are leaking it will allow air into the pump.. Did you lube the O rings?

1621435256609.png

Thanks yes they were lubed but I will double check again to make sure there is no grit or anything that got in there. Yeah losing pressure in recirculate mode surprised me.

Now I am getting a bit of a high pitched whine when I get the system started started again so I will check the impeller to make sure its clear and not loose or anything.

I tried posting a short video but it doesn't seem to be allowed.

I double checked the plugs and I cleaned lubed the o rings. Everything looked pretty solid. I also checked the impeller and it was clear and moved freely. Now I cant get the pump to prime at all. The pump also sounds the same as usual.

I tried again after rechecking everything and still not getting the pump to prime. I would appreciate any help. The pump does not sound abnormal and I have not seen any leak of water under or around the pump.

Is it possible to determine if I need to replace or repair the seal and bearings? I called a local pool company who came by and tried to prime and also failed after checking everything. They also stated they do not think the pump itself is bad. The pool equipment is higher than the pool but in previous years priming took some time but never failed to prime as it is this year. They did say that if the bearings/seal was bad they would need to replace the entire motor.

Are you filling with water from a hose and then turning the pump on? You may have to rebuild the pump end with all new rebuilt kit and new salt or SCS seal for your pump.. Inyo will have both those, that is where I got mine, give them a call and make sure this is correct one.. :)

Attachments

• Use-The-Right-Seal-For-Your-Pool-and-Spa-Pumps.pdf
    311.1 KB · Views: 1

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
So on a whim I managed to get the pump to prime. The water pressure is holding steady but there is a loud whine noise when water is running through it. Its odd that the pump only makes the loud whining noise when water is running through it. When it was trying to prime it sounds normal. I assume that means the bearings need to be replaced?

How do I know which bearings to get assuming that is the issue. I would assume I would want to replace the gaskets in the right kit for my pump while replacing the bearings, I tried searching by model number and not finding one that matches.

Thanks again for the help.

Last edited:
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.