Running cartridge filter without cartridge

E,

Messy, but would work.

You should have a three way valve between your pump and filter that would allow you to do the same thing but with a place for the water to go.

Thanks,

Jim R.

Can I take the cartridge out of my filter and remove the drain plug at the bottom of the filter container and vacuum to waste this way?
You would also need a 2 way valve after the filter to stop half (ish) of the dirty vac water from taking its normal path out the returns.

You would also need a 2 way valve after the filter to stop half (ish) of the dirty vac water from taking its normal path out the returns.

Such a valve in that place can dead head the pool system and would not be recommended.

If you are going to cut in a valve then put a 3 way valve in before the filter that can be used to divert water to waste.

It is a lot better to do some PVC cutting and gluing and installing a waste line then flooding your pool pad trying to drain the pool through the filter drain.

Reactions: proavia
I "vacuum to waste" my cartridge filter with an actual vacuum - a wet/dry shop vac. I never remove the drain plug, only the guts of the filter, and I suck out the dirt that way. Then I can dump the dirty water elsewhere and not make a mess around my equipment pad.

Such a valve in that place can dead head the pool system and would not be recommended.
Obviously. But some systems have individual valves on the returns and once the filter drain plug is removed, they would need to be turned to 'off' to divert all flow out the drain plug.

@Ezbagr I would add a 3 way to waste as Jim and Allen described, if you don't already have return valves. I don't use the waste function on my cartridge filter often, but boy do I love it when I do.

Screenshot_20230306_165640_Gallery.jpg

If you don't have return valves need a cheap temporary solution , you could use screw in winterizing plugs in the returns. Turn the pump off, open the drain plug on the filter, add the return plugs and fire the pump back up.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.